Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Overclock emualted GPU clock?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know about the vbeam speed hack, and from what I understood, it isn't really overclocking the emulated GPU.

anyway, I have been wandering, why there is an option to overclock the CPU and not the GPU? The option really helps and I use it, but I'm sure that some games can be also GPU limited (For example, I tested Super Mario Galxy with 125% CPU and 250%, and my framerate was the same. I know the games runs at 99% 60 fps on the real wii if not 100% but it still makes me think the game is more GPU limited on the real Wii). It really makes me wonder what would be the performance impact of both actual game speed and emulated game speed with emulated GPU overclock. And yes, I know that unlike today, in the past games on both PCs and consoles had more CPU bottlenecks.
Correct me if I'm wrong but most of Wii and GC games (like Super Mario Galaxy) have a fixed framerate determined by the game's code. The only way to change that is AR/gekko code.
(08-28-2015, 12:22 AM)DrHouse64 Wrote: [ -> ]Correct me if I'm wrong but most of Wii and GC games (like Super Mario Galaxy) have a fixed framerate determined by the game's code. The only way to change that is AR/gekko code.

I know, I'm talking about games which can't maintain their FPS target. For example take a look at the god of war games on the PS2 - the framerate is closer to 60 when there is almost no action or in lighter moments, but can dip to 30 when there's a lot going on, because the PS2 can't maintain the 60 FPS Target. In such cases, overclocking the PCSX2 emulated CPU and maybe GPU if that's possible (I'm actually asking this about dolphin - is it possible to overclock the GPU from 162MHZ to 200MHZ for example?) could help the game get closer to his FPS target
I'm not sure it'd make sense in Dolphin; from what I recall, the emulated GPU is generally way too *fast*, i.e. it finishes things too quickly because there's no good/efficient way to know the cycle times for each draw, I think. I might be wrong though? I'm not 100% sure.
Dolphin already has an emulated GPU clockrate; but it only happens when SyncGPU is enabled; otherwise it's just as fast as possible.
(08-28-2015, 03:22 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin already has an emulated GPU clockrate; but it only happens when SyncGPU is enabled; otherwise it's just as fast as possible.

So basically you say that unless I use SyncGPU, the GPU can run even at 300MHZ for example (if my PC is strong enough of course)? The SyncGPU limits it to the original clockrate? If it does, it means that lowering the GPU cloclrate decreases emulation performance because it can make the GC/Wii CPU work harder?
Emulating the GPU running at a specific speed is actually more demanding than letting it be infinitely fast due to timings and whatnot.
So when SMG can't maintain 60 FPS even on Dolphin when the CPU is overclocked and the GPU too, what is the bottletneck?
(08-28-2015, 06:28 PM)DrHouse64 Wrote: [ -> ]So when SMG can't maintain 60 FPS even on Dolphin when the CPU is overclocked and the GPU too, what is the bottletneck?

Actually it can. I just heard that on the real wii, it can drop a little beat when there are explotions in a section where you have to blow garbage to get a star.
On dual core without SyncGPU, the GPU is as fast as we're able to emulate the hardware. But just try single core, then the emulated GPU is infinite fast.