Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Load custom textures on Mac - correct directory placement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

Been following Dolphin as a lurker for a few years now.  Love your work—I admire the mind-bogglingly insane effort that has gone into a project like this, and I love playing with the result—Thanks.  While I'm not a developer, I have done my share of coding in early life.  Read [learned to program Basic on a TRS-80 Pocket Computer] in the early to mid 80s and I've done my own website building for many years—who cares right.  That said, when I finally work something out like this, I try to post the solution so everyone can find it.

The 'Load custom textures' option is very cool in Dolphin, but I couldn't work out how to use it on a Mac.

After a lot of searching around the interwebz, I couldn't find where to put the texture packs. Finally, I worked out where the actual placement of the texture mod files goes on a Mac like so.

Instructions say to put a folder in the same location as your emulator [Dolphin] and have the path : User/Load/Textures/[GameID]

This was unclear to me—and on a Mac, it's misleading. Finally, a post regarding the general folder structure of Dolphin itself gave me the clues I needed. I took a screenshot in-game, and I knew the path where that was stored would be basically the same as what I needed for the high-res texture folder location, and that path was reported at the top of the gameplay screen as the screenshot was taken.

The actual default directory path for placing texture packs on a Mac is this:

[OSX Boot Volume name]/Users/[yourshortusername]/Library/Application Support/Dolphin/Load/Textures/[GameID]/

After the files were placed in there, boom, textures loaded.  

If you are a less experienced Mac user, you might not know that the User's "Library" folder is hidden by default.  So to get there using Finder, you have to hold the Option key as you click on the Go menu in Finder.  If you toggle the Option key as you view Finder's 'Go' menu, you'll see the Library directory appear and vanish.  Also note that this is the User's Library folder, not the / level Library of OS X.

Of course, you can do this all via command line, and bypass the GUI, which is perhaps more precise.  Either way gets the same result.

Thanks again, and I would say that a little extra detail for the path for the texture loading feature would go a long way in the "hover hints' in the advanced graphics settings dialog.

Tim