Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What is the Netplay feature exactly?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I mean is it like playing the game over LAN, or Is it playing with another players on the same console? Does it have any specific requirements? How is it works?

Does someone even plays Metroid Prime 2 Multiplayer (never tried it, but I would like to someday)
Netplay basically emulates multiplayer games where you and your friends would physically be sitting in front of the same console and the same TV. This is known as "local" multiplayer. So if you had to connect 4 GC controllers or 4 Wiimotes, Dolphin emulates that kind of multiplayer with other Dolphin users over the internet.

As far as I know, the requirements shouldn't be all that different from what it takes to normally run a game in multiplayer mode. Do note that some games (like Mario Kart) get more demanding in multiplayer mode (because the games themselves do run more tasks, forcing Dolphin to emulate more tasks) but most games don't see a bump. Obviously you'll need a good internet connection.
(08-22-2015, 12:30 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]As far as I know, the requirements shouldn't be all that different from what it takes to normally run a game in multiplayer mode.

It's a bit more demanding because it's not possible to use regular dual code mode without desyncing, but I don't think the difference is too significant.

(08-22-2015, 12:14 AM)DolphinPC Wrote: [ -> ]How is it works?

Basically, every time you press a button, that button press is sent to the other players, and Dolphin on their computers act as if you were sitting right next to them and pressing that button. There are also a few tricks used to ensure that all players stay in sync.
Thanks, but It's working fine (not performance wise) or are there issues (Assuming my internet connection is good enough)?
iirc Wiimotes tend to desync netplay (I think immediately after a second Wiimote is connected) so there's no way to play Wii games that don't have GC controller support over netplay.
(08-22-2015, 04:55 AM)DolphinPC Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, but It's working fine (not performance wise) or are there issues (Assuming my internet connection is good enough)?

It works fine, except in some cases such as using Wii Remotes (like the previous post pointed out) and using save files for Wii games.
Thanks again. BTW, I never played Metroid Prime 2 Multiplayer, someone wants to play? (If you're using Direct3D after an hour and half of playing or even less there will be almost no stuttering at all except for when a new effect is being loaded)