Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: building a new computer, is it Dolphin ready?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

BoloSantosi

Hi! I'm building a new HTPC, primarily for gaming and I was wondering if this setup would be any good for running Dolphin. I would like to run most games as close to 1080p and 60fps as possible, but only really Brawl (with netplay) is important to me.

This is my build so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KK4fBm

Does everything look good? Thank you!
You could wait a little bit and get Intel's Skylake chip, the i5-6600K
how much will that cost?
Should be around the same price for the CPU, the new Z170 boards and DDR4 RAM might be a little bit more expensive.

BoloSantosi

(08-19-2015, 02:28 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Should be around the same price for the CPU, the new Z170 boards and DDR4 RAM might be a little bit more expensive.
So if I'm looking at this right, it looks like the cost of the newer Motherboard and RAM along with the i5-6600K would add around $100 to the cost. Would the new parts give enough in performance to make that worth it?

If I decided not to opt for the 6600k, is the build I have decent, or would you guys change anything?
4.6ghz is achievable on the hyper212 evo and the 4690k is no slouch when it comes to performance so yes that cpu would be fine for any game you throw at it without a doubt. No point in spending more on ddr4 memory if you are just looking to do is play emulators and btw if you play a game online with a friend the higher the ping the more laggy the game or so it seems. My friend and I have rigs capable of pretty much running everything we own but when he hits 200 ping our game drops to about 15 fps.

BoloSantosi

(08-20-2015, 01:06 AM)darkberry Wrote: [ -> ]4.6ghz is achievable on the hyper212 evo and the 4690k is no slouch when it comes to performance so yes that cpu would be fine for any game you throw at it without a doubt. No point in spending more on ddr4 memory if you are just looking to do is play emulators and btw if you play a game online with a friend the higher the ping the more laggy the game or so it seems. My friend and I have rigs capable of pretty much running everything we own but when he hits 200 ping our game drops to about 15 fps.
okay cool. If I wanted to go cheaper on the CPU and go for say, the 4460 instead of the 4690k and get a better video card (for stuff on steam and other non-Dolphin games), would something like the 4460 also do okay? Or should I commit to a better CPU?
(08-20-2015, 01:25 AM)BoloSantosi Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-20-2015, 01:06 AM)darkberry Wrote: [ -> ]4.6ghz is achievable on the hyper212 evo and the 4690k is no slouch when it comes to performance so yes that cpu would be fine for any game you throw at it without a doubt. No point in spending more on ddr4 memory if you are just looking to do is play emulators and btw if you play a game online with a friend the higher the ping the more laggy the game or so it seems. My friend and I have rigs capable of pretty much running everything we own but when he hits 200 ping our game drops to about 15 fps.
okay cool. If I wanted to go cheaper on the CPU and go for say, the 4460 instead of the 4690k and get a better video card (for stuff on steam and other non-Dolphin games), would something like the 4460 also do okay? Or should I commit to a better CPU?
Being able to overclock might be nice, especially if you plan on playing demanding games.  However for the vast majority of games, the 4460 should be fine.

BoloSantosi

(08-20-2015, 03:32 AM)yl-smash Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-20-2015, 01:25 AM)BoloSantosi Wrote: [ -> ]
Being able to overclock might be nice, especially if you plan on playing demanding games.  However for the vast majority of games, the 4460 should be fine.
I don't think I'll be overclocking (I don't really feel comfortable with the process myself, still kind of a newbie at stuff). With that in mind is the 4460 going to be about the same as the 4690k or would the 4690k offer better performance even without OCing?

also if I'm not going to OC do I really need the 212 Evo?
4960k always, and you can OC that without any danger of hurting the chip (sans overheating), such is the nature of the 4690k