Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: uncertain - buying a notebook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

xx1234xx

hi,
i am buying a new laptop and i what it to run dolphin and i cant decide which one to choose between two notebooks.
one has a cpu - i5 4200m and a gpu - geforce 740m
the other notebook has a cpu - i7 4702mq and a gpu - intel hd 4600.

so - the first laptop has a bad cpu and a good gpu and the second laptop has bad gpu and good cpu.
which should i pick?

ps - i am not gonna play wii games because i only have gamecube. i am planning to play the pokemon games (xd & colloseum), sms and maybe metroid prime 1.
i want to play these games full speed (30 fps/60 fps) all the time just like on my gc.
Both are capable of running Dolphin well with the games mentioned. So when you say bad, please clarify on what is bad. I have the i5-4200M but with a lower GPU and just so happen to currently be on MP1 and can tell you I haven't had any problems, other than minimal shader stutters but that's to be expected with the game.

I would go for the i5-4200M since it has a dedicated GPU, but you may want to apply thermal compound since it will generate more heat = overheat = thermal throttle in the long run. The i7 4702MQ will generate less heat since it has iGPU. So consider your options.

xx1234xx

thanks Smile
im sorry when i wrote "bad" i meant to say that one cpu/gpu is stronger than the other.
will i get constant full speed on both laptops? if so i will go for the laptop with the i7 because i cant customize the laptop and would like it to be cooler.
Your good with those games. But bear in mind the requirements for MP1 and it's demands, make sure you use the latest dev. builds as their faster. If your worried of overheating you could DIY thermal compound. There is a guy by the name of admin89 here in the forums that has a walkthrough on it.

xx1234xx

thanks again Smile
i dont play new pc games (only old ones) so if the integrated intel graphics will be sufficient for dolphin and aspecially for the pokemon games i will go for it.
i just dont want to mess with the laptop im afraid the warranty will be canceled.