Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: I7 5500U vs. i7 4712mq
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

NintendoRevolution

Hey so I am in the market for a new laptop and I would really like to be able to run dolphin at reasonable fps. The one laptop has a i7 5500U 2.4 ghz 8GB DDR3L and GeForce gtx 950M, 256GB ssd vs. i7 4712MQ 2.3 ghz 8GB DDR3L and Geforce 940M, 1 TB HDD. I am conflicted because I know the 950 is slightly better than the 940 but the 4712MQ is slightly better. Any thoughts or suggestions? Please help!
for dolphin? GPU is irrelevant beyond a certain performance level, and both of those cards have passed it. get the one with the better CPU

NintendoRevolution

(08-16-2015, 10:33 AM)NKF98 Wrote: [ -> ]for dolphin? GPU is irrelevant beyond a certain performance level, and both of those cards have passed it. get the one with the better CPU

Yeah I figured as much. Also no difference between 2.4 or 2.3?

NintendoRevolution

Also is the 5500U still capable of running dolphin well? I guess the question I really should be asking is, would I see a big benefit in having quad core over dual core? Or does dolphin only use dual whene enabled.
NintendoRevolution Wrote:Yeah I figured as much. Also no difference between 2.4 or 2.3?

Core i7 4712MQ has better single-core performance, more cores and more cache l3.
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-55...-i7-4712MQ
(08-16-2015, 11:18 AM)NintendoRevolution Wrote: [ -> ]Also is the 5500U still capable of running dolphin well? I guess the question I really should be asking is, would I see a big benefit in having quad core over dual core? Or does dolphin only use dual whene enabled.

Dolphin is a dual-core application, so it wouldn't be beneficial having a quad-core onboard. Between the two, go for the 4712MQ as the 5500U is an ultra-low voltage CPU.
However, even though the 5500U is ULV, it would still be capable of running dolphin well with light-weight games.
here is some helpful information. i've got a 4510u, and this thingy compares that and the 5500u. my computer runs games like Radiant Dawn at full speed most of the time w/ integrated graphics, but at super low settings. also, the 5500u has a higher clock speed so you should be fine