Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Planning to Build a New Computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've never built a computer before and I've read the Dolphin FAQ and looked at what parts are recommended.  I have two parts lists, and I don't know which one is better or if both are absolutely terrible.  One I made myself and the other one I got from some guy off pcpartpicker.com.  Please tell me which of the two would be better for dolphin, and if there are any problems with the better one could you recommend me a part or parts that would work better than the ones I have?  I doubt I'll be playing any games at high resolution or with HD graphics and stuff, and what I'll be doing most is playing Melee or PM on Netplay.  My main aim is good FPS with these two games.

PC #1:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866
Video card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 285 2GB WINDFORCE 2X
Operating system: Windows 7, and I may upgrade to Windows 10 if it's still free by the time I build the computer.

PC #2:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Video card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB
Operating system: Windows 7, and I may upgrade to Windows 10 if it's still free by the time I build the computer.

I already went over my budget a bit with both of these, so if you want to recommend some parts please don't go even more expensive.  Here's a link to the full builds (with prices) just for convenience:

PC #1: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Bravegrunt/...iew=nK2MnQ
PC #2: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PpwKmG

Sorry if this post seems needy, but I know very little about building computers other than what I read in the Dolphin FAQ and in some book I bought.
neither of these are what you want. first of all, use a Z97 architecture for your mobo and a k processor, such as the 4690k, or for a budget build use a pentium G3258. then, use a cheaper video card such as the 750TI or something, Dolphin isn't particularly GPU intensive. you would also have to upgrade to an ATX case and unless you feel like melting your CPU you need a heat sink and good thermal compound.

i just made this guy http://pcpartpicker.com/p/37ZDHx for you, it's less than $500 and will play dolphin well
My guess for you is that you need an os, if you dont plan on just playing dolphin i have a build for you

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Hftbgs

Sure its amd, but it should handle games better than the pentium which use more than 2 cores (GTA 5, Phantom Pain)

And its cheaper Smile
piccolo's build won't work half as good for dolphin as the Intel one i prescribed. the G3258 is an incredibly powerful chip for its price, and he doesn't seem to know a whole lot about building systems because he matched a micro-ATX board with an ATX form factor case, which is just dumb, along with no heat sink or thermal paste as I mentioned.

@piccolo OP specifically said that he was mainly going to do netplay with Project M and smash, not play games like GTA. that processor is clocked at 3.5 with bad single core performance, making it unwise for these things
(08-16-2015, 07:38 AM)NKF98 Wrote: [ -> ]neither of these are what you want. first of all, use a Z97 architecture for your mobo and a k processor, such as the 4690k, or for a budget build use a pentium G3258. then, use a cheaper video card such as the 750TI or something, Dolphin isn't particularly GPU intensive. you would also have to upgrade to an ATX case and unless you feel like melting your CPU you need a heat sink and good thermal compound.

i just made this guy http://pcpartpicker.com/p/37ZDHx for you, it's less than $500 and will play dolphin well

Thanks for this. I actually didn't even know the Pentium G3258 existed, and apparently that's a really good value, though I do have a small concern: would I need to overclock this to get a stable 60 FPS, and if so, how easy is it to overclock stuff? I have no experience with overclocking, or pretty much anything that involves a PC more powerful than an average office one.

Also, if there are any weaker parts in there that could use an upgrade for ~20 dollars, that would make it perfect for my budget.

Other than that, I don't think there's much I need to know. It would be nice if I could get some other people's opinions on this build, as just about every person I've seen acts like they're the best at building computers.
Its most definitely the most popular build for dolphin playing, im not sure about oc tho
That CPU overclocks VERY well on stock coolers.
the G3258 is hands down the best value CPU out there imo. AMD chips are fine but don't have very good single core performance so aren't recommended for Dolphin. bear in mind that the build I suggested is a dolphin build, not a gaming rig.
(08-17-2015, 08:32 AM)NKF98 Wrote: [ -> ]the G3258 is hands down the best value CPU out there imo. AMD chips are fine but don't have very good single core performance so aren't recommended for Dolphin. bear in mind that the build I suggested is a dolphin build, not a gaming rig.

So I wouldn't need to overclock on Melee or PM, right?
(08-17-2015, 09:34 AM)Bravegrunt Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-17-2015, 08:32 AM)NKF98 Wrote: [ -> ]the G3258 is hands down the best value CPU out there imo. AMD chips are fine but don't have very good single core performance so aren't recommended for Dolphin. bear in mind that the build I suggested is a dolphin build, not a gaming rig.

So I wouldn't need to overclock on Melee or PM, right?

People buy the G3258 with OCing in mind from the get go, IMO; it only matches the 4790k and 4690k when OC'd to 4.something GHz
Pages: 1 2