Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New Computer for Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

ZeldaFan27

Hello, everybody

Right now, I just own a low office laptop for my study, which is to weak for Dolphin. So I decided to buy me a new computer, that I can play Gamecube/Wii Games in 720P. Im a complete newbie with emulations, and just watched a few videos, where the people wrote their specifications. So I searched, but just found similar specifications, thats why im not sure how/if it would work.

Games I want play in 720P/30FPS for Gamecube:

- Zelda Twilight Princess
- Zelda Wind Waker
- Skies of Arcadia
- Baten Kaitos
- Starfox Adventures
- Metroid Prime 1/2

Games I want play in 720P/30FPS for Wii:

- Metroid Prime 3
- Pandoras Tower
- The last Story
- Arc Rise Fantasia

My money limit is 500$, and I found this 3 computers:

For 335$

- AMD A8 6600K, 4x 3900 MHz (TurboCore to 4200 MHz)
- 4096 MB DDR3
- Radeon 8570D

For 476$

- Intel Core i5-4460, 4× 3200 MHz (TurboBoost 2.0 to 3400 MHz)
- 8192 MB DDR3
- Intel HD Graphics 4600

For 480$

- AMD Athlon II X4 860K, 4× 3700 MHz (TurboCore to 4000 MHz)
- 8192 MB DDR3
- Geforce GTX 750

Would any of this computers work for my planned games, or maybe other better/cheaper advise? Would be great if someone can help me, because im in a fix with this themes.

Thanks in advance

Marcel
As AMD A10 6790k @ 5.0GHz owner and Intel HD 4600 user , i can tell non of these builds are good for Dolphin and your pocket
If you consider to build your own PC , not some overpriced OEM craps , i will help you choose best bang for buck one
Hint : G3258 can be overclocked well without extra cooling units and it's twice as fast as any AMD CPU . Of course , it will be faster than i5 4460 in Dolphin if you overclock
A certain USB 3.0 PC case for $23
Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm HDD for $43
Asrock Z97 Pro 4 for $85
MSI GTX 750 for $100
Seasonic 300W 80 Plus Bronze for $36
Unlocked G3258 (You should OC it to 4.5GHz) for $70
Gskill Ripjaws X 2x2GB DDR3 1600MHz for $33
Total cost : $390 !!!
Bonus : Perixx 1800 Multi-Color Backlit - Anti-Ghosting Gaming Keyboard for $25
Perixx 8200DPI Programmable Laser Gaming Mouse for $18

ZeldaFan27

Thank you so much, Admin89!

The price is great, and they have all components in my country (Germany) too. I would order it in a shop here, where they can build and overclock it for a cheap price too. Just a lil question, to surely future setting questions when I get my new computer - Which System should I choose, or is this not so important for dolphin?

Marcel
If you have a disk, go windows

If you dont have it and and know how, use a version of linux. Ive heard that debian is good
(08-16-2015, 06:27 AM)piccolo289 Wrote: [ -> ]Ive heard that debian is good

lol

if you're going to use linux and are unfamiliar with it then a debian based version might work well for you, such as ubuntu. you will need to use a debian based version for Dolphin because they only release DEB packages, so unless you're using WINE or know how to convert them then you won't be able to play
Sorry im such a linux noob lol

ZeldaFan27

I dont have experience with Linux, I just have Windows 7 and 8.1 here. Would both work with Dolphin, or maybe one have an advantage for emulation, or it would be both the same?
(08-16-2015, 05:39 PM)ZeldaFan27 Wrote: [ -> ]I dont have experience with Linux, I just have Windows 7 and 8.1 here. Would both work with Dolphin, or maybe one have an advantage for emulation, or it would be both the same?

Both work well.

ZeldaFan27

I ordered the computer with the specifications in the online-shop here in germany at sunday night, and already today, on tuesday, it was finished and I took him out of the shop. They overclocked the G3258 in a middle level, and Im more than happy with all. So I started today Zelda Twilight Princess, and it worked with 60Hertz/720P/some details, very smoothly. Only 2 times I had a tiny slowdown with weird sound, but it was just for 2-3 Seconds. I would say similar to PS3/360 Games, which load a moment in a new area. I played now 2:09 without any big problems or so, and looking forward to more great gameplay and fun. Thanks for your help here, it works and looks all great Smile