Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin breaking audio when using USB Audio Device? (Issue 8627)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey guys, so I haven't had any issues w/ Dolphin on Windows 8.1.  I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and like the OS in general.  However, I've been having audio troubles w/ Dolphin.  I am using a USB audio adapter because my mobo lacks an SPDIF output (http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-External-Ch...vantec+7.1).  I haven't had any other issues w/ any other programs outside of Dolphin.  PC games, and everything in general works great.  However, when I load up Dolphin and try to run a game, I immediately lose sound.  I can't regain sound on anything until I restart my computer.  Sometimes I'm able to have a Youtube video playing w/ sound, and load up a game in dolphin and the audio continues for a little while, only to eventually cease, and then I have to restart to get it working again.  Has anybody ran into this problem?  I'm using the latest development version (4.0-7207 as I type this), and have all motherboard drivers and windows updates installed.  Thanks for any input.

Edit 8/15/15 - Updated the thread title, it doesn't appear that Windows 10 has anything to do with this.

Edit 2 - I downloaded a much older development release to see if the issue is noticeable back then (4.0-3868 - ~9 months old), and I get completely working sound. So I'm not sure at which point something was changed that caused the issue, but this makes progress and hopefully helps isolate the issue.
(08-12-2015, 02:24 PM)Suprvgeta Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys, so I haven't had any issues w/ Dolphin on Windows 8.1.  I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and like the OS in general.  However, I've been having audio troubles w/ Dolphin.  I am using a USB audio adapter because my mobo lacks an SPDIF output (http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-External-Ch...vantec+7.1).  I haven't had any other issues w/ any other programs outside of Dolphin.  PC games, and everything in general works great.  However, when I load up Dolphin and try to run a game, I immediately lose sound.  I can't regain sound on anything until I restart my computer.  Sometimes I'm able to have a Youtube video playing w/ sound, and load up a game in dolphin and the audio continues for a little while, only to eventually cease, and then I have to restart to get it working again.  Has anybody ran into this problem?  I'm using the latest development version (4.0-7207 as I type this), and have all motherboard drivers and windows updates installed.  Thanks for any input.
Maybe your usb driver is icompatible with windows
I thought that too, but the company just yesterday released a Windows 10 driver. Pretty much everything works great outside of Dolphin too (pc games, movies, YouTube, other emulators, etc...). I think it is a drivers issue of some sort, but it just seems odd that it only affects Dolphin.
(08-13-2015, 04:51 AM)daniellegal Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-13-2015, 04:46 AM)Suprvgeta Wrote: [ -> ]I thought that too, but the company just yesterday released a Windows 10 driver.  Pretty much everything works great outside of Dolphin too (pc games, movies, YouTube, other emulators, etc...).  I think it is a drivers issue of some sort, but it just seems odd that it only affects Dolphin.

maybe the new driver have maked dolphin unable to access your spdif i test with one and give the same problem as yours
(08-13-2015, 04:46 AM)Suprvgeta Wrote: [ -> ]I thought that too, but the company just yesterday released a Windows 10 driver.  Pretty much everything works great outside of Dolphin too (pc games, movies, YouTube, other emulators, etc...).  I think it is a drivers issue of some sort, but it just seems odd that it only affects Dolphin.

maybe the driver have make dolphin unable to acess your usb audio adapter i have the same problems with some of my adapters
Disable Direct Connect under GameCube Adapter in the Options/Controller Settings. Should help with this situation.
(08-13-2015, 04:53 AM)daniellegal Wrote: [ -> ]

maybe the driver have make dolphin unable to acess your usb audio adapter i have the same problems with some of my adapters
It's possible, have you been able to remedy the problem?

(08-13-2015, 04:56 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Disable Direct Connect under GameCube Adapter in the Options/Controller Settings. Should help with this situation.
Thanks for the input, but I just tried this and unfortunately it didn't work and the problem persists.

I appreciate both of the replies guys, I'm still pretty lost on how to solve this. To the company's credit, they have been pretty quick in emailing me possible solutions, but nothing has worked thus far. I've tried disabling every single sound device on my computer outside of my USB audio to remedy the problem, but it hasn't worked either.

Edit: I don't think the problem is with Dolphin, as it works just fine using my Realtek HD Audio (motherboard audio). For some reason though the sound just will not work on this 7.1 USB sound adapter. My problem is that my motherboard doesn't have an SPDIF/optical out, and I like to play on the soundbar on my TV. If anybody has figured out how to get Dolphin to work using a USB audio adapter, I would be all ears.
I had a similar issue with my USb headset. I deleted the device from Device Manager and then reinstalled the drivers. Fixed my issue
(08-14-2015, 05:38 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]I had a similar issue with my USb headset. I deleted the device from Device Manager and then reinstalled the drivers. Fixed my issue

I had tried this before to no avail, and I just tried removing/unistalling the device, and reinstalling the Windows 10 driver again - and it still doesn't work.  I get no sound when playing a game using the SPDIF out, but if I then switch to my motherboard audio while the game is playing, the audio comes back on.  So I don't really think this is a device driver issue, maybe one of the developers could shed some light on if Dolphin specifically codes the program to a specific audio device on your computer, or if USB audio devices are not supported?  I'd appreciate any insight, thanks!
This continues to just frustrate and baffle me. In order to determine when exactly sound cuts out, I can literally be clicking on the sound icon in Windows to keep getting beeps to make sure the sound is on, and when I open Dolphin as I'm doing this (Dolphin then scans for my games/settings) the sound just cuts out and stops giving me the beeps. In another means of testing, I can have a Youtube video going in the back ground, and then open Dolphin and the sound will actually work, but the back left speaker of my surround sound becomes the main front channel, and then if I close Dolphin I'm back to square one w/ no sound until restart. A rep at the company has actually got Dolphin and ran his Smash Bros game on it and can get sound to work on the device... so I don't know what the deal is, somehow Dolphin is snuffing out my sound when I load the program.
Pages: 1 2 3