Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Exporting Dolphin saves for use on Wii U (Wii VC titles) and vice versa
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to export Dolphin saves for use on the Wii U with Wii Virtual console titles and also import them back from the Wii U back to Dolphin? Please note that I'm specifically asking about Wii titles on the Wii U virtual console and not in Wii mode.

I read that the virtual console version of Super Mario Galaxy 2 for example will allow you to use your old Wii savedata so it sounds like these savedata files for Wii virtual console games could be in the same format.

Xenoblade Chronicles was just released on the Wii U virtual console and it would be very cool to be able to export my Dolphin save and play off-tv on the Wii U gamepad and then import the save back later and continue on Dolphin. I can't test myself as I haven't purchased because I wouldn't be too interested if I can't use my Dolphin save file.

Also, I just used the 'Export Wii save (experimental)' option in Dolphin on Xenoblade and was given an 'Export failed' message. Is this feature still working?

Thanks
Does the Wii U VC save its save games in vWii under Data Management? If not, I don't think this will work.
(08-07-2015, 12:29 PM)OatmealDome Wrote: [ -> ]Does the Wii U VC save its save games in vWii under Data Management? If not, I don't think this will work.

I read that Wii VC games boot in Wii mode so it might save them there. Unfortunately I don't have a Wii VC game yet to check!
There might be something wrong with the single save export, I can't get it to work either. Perhaps we should file an issue report? (However, if I go to Tools -> Export All Wii Saves, it works fine and the "private" folder that you can place on an SD card can be found at "Documents/Dolphin Emulator".)
(08-08-2015, 02:41 AM)OatmealDome Wrote: [ -> ]There might be something wrong with the single save export, I can't get it to work either. Perhaps we should file an issue report? (However, if I go to Tools -> Export All Wii Saves, it works fine and the "private" folder that you can place on an SD card can be found at "Documents/Dolphin Emulator".)

We could do that. Perhaps it's not a supported feature these days with the focus being on emulation accuracy.

Another strange issue is that I followed the method you suggested and got messages saying 'Found 20 save files' and then 'Successfully exported 0 saves to Documents/Dolphin Emulator/private/wii/titlle/' and the private folder is not created at all!

Also if I right click Xenoblade and choose 'Open Wii save folder' I'm just taken to Documents where the Dolphin Emulator folder is stored, where exactly are the save files?
I had the exact same message with 0 saves, but I assumed it was because I had already exported my saves because when I went to check the private folder, everything was there :/ Choosing 'Open Wii save folder' opens a location in the Wii NAND folder ("Dolphin Emulator\Wii\title\00010000\53583445\data") for me.