Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Powerful rig, but terrible lag
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello,

Questions like these have probably been asked dozens of times, but I can't find anything specific that I have not tried either from here or Youtube videos that could fix the issues I'm having so here goes...

My PC is a very decent rig that should, according to documentation, have no problem running any game that's thrown into Dolphin, but I'll list the specs just in case...

i7-4790k
GTX 970 4GB
8 GB GSkill DDR3 1866
XBOX 360 controller as emulated Wiimote

I'm shocked because even with this machine, I am getting unbearable lag and can't even get passed the start screens in SMG1, SMG2 or, most importantly, DKC Returns lately. I can't figure out what the issue could be given that I used to run all 3 of these games, albeit with a noticeable slowdown (especially DKC) on my old Q6600 Quad Core a few months back.

I've looked at different configs, made sure the compiler settings were fine, even put the games and emulator on same HDD or SSD to make sure they ran of the same drive, nothing helps... If anyone has an idea on what I might be doing wrong, please do tell...

I hope this is clear enough, if not I'll try and put up a video, but it is simply incredibly laggy, the emulation itself starts slow, the Wiimote warning screen comes up slow (a good 5 seconds) and fades out just as slow... and then the game comes on and same problem, slow fade in, huge chops in audio, etc...

Many thanks in advance for any help Smile
use a newer version, either 5.0-rc or the latest development release
Have you checked your temps?
(08-07-2015, 09:30 AM)NKF98 Wrote: [ -> ]use a newer version, either 5.0-rc or the latest development release

I tought 4.0 was the latest? I'll give 5.0 a try then!

(08-07-2015, 09:31 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Have you checked your temps?

Stable 30-35c on all 8 cores with HT on and stable 30-35c on GPU temp as well. No increase at all... I got scared at first too
lol 4.0 is almost 2 years old, the nightlies are updated, well, nightly. that's more than 800 revisions behind
I have installed 5.0 and issues have reduced slightly, but both the audio and video is still choppy as in choppier then on the older machine which was, as mentionned, way worse of a computer Sad
are you using any higher IR or AA? have you modified the settings from default?
I have played around with some of the options since I've tried several configs from youtube videos or the dolphin wiki itself... I'm trying to figure out how to restore to default from scratch at this very moment to make sure I'm starting fresh though
(08-07-2015, 09:45 AM)NKF98 Wrote: [ -> ]are you using any higher IR or AA? have you modified the settings from default?

I have now reset everything to default, only thing I put back in is my X360 controller profile. Unfortunately, to no avail. Even on default resolution, which I think is 640x*** the bar on top of the small window says 35 fps with OpenGL encoding which, I assume, is far from what this machine can output... and my core temperatures are still fine and dandy.
Just to make sure: in the Nvidia control panel, you have Dolphin.exe set to use the "Maximum Performance" power option, right? I hear that causes lag in some setups.
Pages: 1 2 3