Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Stock 5960x perf better than OC'd 4770k
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

So my personal rig is a 4770k water cooled and OC'd to 4.2gHz, respectable I'd say. GPU is a GTX 980 and 16GM DDR3 ram.

I also have access to a 5960x machine at work, with no OC, so stock 3.0Ghz. GPU is a GTX 970 and 16GB DDR4 ram.

When I play games like Rogue Squadron, I've noticed the 5960x has much less stuttering and generally higher FPS, when using same settings in Dolphin. 

This is odd, since the 4770k is a whole 1.2Ghz higher in clock speed than the 5960x, and Dolphin does not benefit from the 5960x's 16 cores. 

My only conclusion is that either the DDR4 ram is making a difference, and/or the 20MB L3 cache is seriously helping out in some form or another. 

Any thoughts on this? 
i doubt DDR4 would make that big of a difference, my guess would be that HT is slowing down performance on the threads
They both have HT
Hmm, RS2 or RS3 or both? Isn't RS3 heavily cpu limited because it's a MMU game? Maybe the bigger L3 cache helps there a lot? Fiora would maybe know...
maybe one system is hotter than the other?
Both games use MMU.
(08-06-2015, 07:51 AM)NKF98 Wrote: [ -> ]maybe one system is hotter than the other?
Both are water-cooled and I know for a fact there is no thermal throttling going on...
i guess the 5960x just has better single core performance
No , it doesn't . Both chips are Haswell