Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: i5-4690K or i7-4790K (both stock) for Dolphin, especially SMG1 and SMG2 ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

sfcrew33

Hello everyone,

I would like to buy a new build for PC gaming and also for Dolphin. Nowadays I launch Dolphin on my laptop and, even if it runs quite well for many games (CPU i7-4700HQ), it is quite limited by my GPU (750m) for 3X IR and higher ... perhaps that my laptop CPU limits too ...

For this new desktop PC, I have to choose between i5-4690(k) and i7-4790k. If i'm going to use them at stock frequencies (small case, don't really want to OC), is there a significative difference between them in order to play Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, fullspeed at 3 or 4x IR (GPU would be GTX 970) ?

Many thanx !

T.
overclocking isn't as hard as everyone makes it out to be it will only shorten the life span of your cpu if you up the voltage too much. It isn't the speed that makes the cpu hotter it's the voltage keep the voltage as low as possible (while still being stable on the overclock) and you will have the lowest temperatures achievable for your overclock, take the hyper 212 evo it can easily overclock an 4690k to 4.4ghz and stay around 63c while under load from gaming. For dolphin both cpu's are fine even though it doesn't support hyper threading technically without overclocking the i7 still would be faster for dolphin because it has a higher clock rate. the i5 running at 3.9ghz vs the i7's stock 4.4ghz. But as I said overclocking the i5 to 4.4ghz is very easy and requires very little voltage adjustment with a minimal increase in heat. With that being said there really shouldn't be any game you couldn't run at full speed even without overclocking the i5 I have the 4690k myself but I overclocked to 4.6ghz as soon as everything was up and running.
To condense that a little, a mild overclock on a 4690K will leave you with the same heat output as a stock 4790K, but better Dolphin performance and will cost less. As well as this, if you're sure you're not overclocking, then you might be better off saving a little cash and getting the locked multiplier variants.
why would you leave a k processor at stock