Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: NFS Carbon Wii VPS less than 100%
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm going to guess "VPS" stands for "Video Possessing Speed". Am I correct?
In any case, NFS Carbon for the Wii is running between 78%-91%
I cannot seem to improve this no matter what I try!
It runs the same with everything turned up, as it does with everything turned down or anywhere in between!
It's running just fast enough to, (literally speaking) be played all the way through. But not good enough to really have any fun!

It is ranked in the Compatibility section as a "4 Star". This really doesn't seem right! Every 3 Star game I have played plays better than thins game!
Is there something I'm over looking? 
Another fun fact, NFS ProStreet runs great! Is was released after Carbon was, and has better graphics! But is given the same rank... -_-

(07-27-2015, 09:24 AM)Fuszion Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to guess "VPS" stands for "Video Possessing Speed". Am I correct?
In any case, NFS Carbon for the Wii is running between 78%-91%
I cannot seem to improve this no matter what I try!
It runs the same with everything turned up, as it does with everything turned down or anywhere in between!
It's running just fast enough to, (literally speaking) be played all the way through. But not good enough to really have any fun!

It is ranked in the Compatibility section as a "4 Star". This really doesn't seem right! Every 3 Star game I have played plays better than thins game!
Is there something I'm over looking? 
Another fun fact, NFS ProStreet runs great! Is was released after Carbon was, and has better graphics! But is given the same rank... -_-

The FX 8350 isn't nearly as fast as you might think it is.  In reality that it probably the bottleneck.  Either over clock it past 5.0Ghz or get an Intel CPU.
I'm going to ignore that subtle smug comment about my 8350.
If it were true that my CPU isn't fast enough, it would show proof of it by showing Some change, ANY change to the VPS while changing options!
NFS ProStreet is a newer and more graphically superior game, and I run that game with everything turned all the way up, with 100% VPS with NO drops at all with a steady 60+fps at 4K!

I have no problems while playing NFS Underground 2!
But I have the same problem with NFS Underground 1 as I do with Carbon!
(07-27-2015, 01:48 PM)Fuszion Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to ignore that subtle smug comment about my 8350.
If it were true that my CPU isn't fast enough, it would show proof of it by showing Some change, ANY change to the VPS while changing options!
NFS ProStreet is a newer and more graphically superior game, and I run that game with everything turned all the way up, with 100% VPS with NO drops at all with a steady 60+fps at 4K!

I have no problems while playing NFS Underground 2!
But I have the same problem with NFS Underground 1 as I do with Carbon!

Those are two very different code bases and in emulation newer games don't always run slower.  Sometimes they have better code which speeds up emulation.  Also expect a few more subtle or not so subtle digs at your very much inferior FX 8350,  since on these forums people are well aware of the major single threaded shortcomings of AMD processors.  It has been and will be said several thousand times that AMD CPU's are widely inferior for emulation,  and frankly I would go as far as to say in general. Also most of those options don't actually affect CPU load,  aside from EFB to Ram which has been renamed and the texture cache.  
What Nintonito said is correct and your system's capabilities have nothing to do with compatibility. For example a guy with a Pentium 4 might not be able to play a single game full speed, by your logic all the games compatibility should be low because that guy with his pentium 4 system can't play any game. Compatibility refers to gameplay issues and not speed issues in general.
(07-27-2015, 09:24 AM)Fuszion Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to guess "VPS" stands for "Video Possessing Speed". Am I correct?

No. I think it stands for something like "Vblanks per second" or "Vertical fields per second", but you're right about it being the speed of the video.
TL;DR, AMD CPUs are not good for Dolphin (and for emulation, in general). Run that game in a recent Intel CPU and your "issue" will go away. Also, our ratings are related to overall compatibility, not to performance, and in NFS Carbon, it's good enough to be rated as 4 stars (it doesn't matter if your current system specs can't handle this game).

In that particular case you can also try getting the PC version, the system requirements will be way lower compared to emulating the Wii version in Dolphin...
(07-27-2015, 01:48 PM)Fuszion Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to ignore that subtle smug comment about my 8350.

There's no smug comment here.

As mentioned by Jhonn, AMD CPUs are not "excellent" for Dolphin.
You'll be able to get a good performance with some games. But not with demanding/very demanding games.

NFS games are pretty demanding
The emulator runs on 2 cores, the FX8350 has 8 weak cores. Do the math, they're bad for emulation.
It's essentially worse than a i5-750 from 2009 for emulation.
(08-05-2015, 11:50 PM)Majesticii Wrote: [ -> ]It's essentially worse than a i5-750 from 2009 for emulation.

Lynnfield CPUs weren't that bad. I could do miracles with my old 760 (heavily overclocked btw) Tongue
Pages: 1 2