Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: N64 games running on Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I spent a bit of time searching the forums regarding this with no luck. So forgive me if I missed it!

I saw an Article a week or so ago on Kotaku I believe, about not only Dolphin running N64 games, but doing it better than all the other N64 emulators out there!
Is this true? If so could someone link me or point me in the right direction to get more info on this and/or how it is done or how I can do it as well?

Thanks a lot!  Smile
Dolphin doesn't play N64 games natively. To play them you have to have a Wii with an N64 game off the Wii shop channel and create a wad file from it. Then you can play it on Dolphin. It basically just runs Nintendo's official N64 emulator for the Wii in Dolphin. It is true that some games do run better than they do on N64 Emulators.

Guides:
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ho...sive-guide Follow this to create a NAND dump.
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ho...nsole-game Just follow this up to step 6.

Hope this Helps! Smile

EDIT: This also means you'll only be able to play N64 games that are available for download off Nintendo's store. Hopefully that's not a problem. Tongue
Thank you!
Technically you can make a custom wad and by taking the N64 ROM Nintendo put in there and replacing it with another, but you'll likely have many issues - Nintendo's emulator is full of game-specific hacks, so using them on the wrong game will have negative effects.
(07-25-2015, 11:58 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]Technically you can make a custom wad and by taking the N64 ROM Nintendo put in there and replacing it with another, but you'll likely have many issues - Nintendo's emulator is full of game-specific hacks, so using them on the wrong game will have negative effects.

I've actually kind of messed around with this in Kirby's Dream Collection. I got Mario Party to boot but it crashes pretty quick and Super Mario 64 works but corrupts the save file. It's Interesting though...
You can also run not64 somehow.
Not64/Wii64 is simply just dragging the wad/dol/elf onto the emulator and making sure you have the right files on the virtual SD card. It runs better on Dolphin than on the Wii because you can overclock the emulated processor by quite a bit.
(07-25-2015, 06:24 PM)IceStrike256 Wrote: [ -> ]You can also run not64 somehow.
Isn't that just a port of Mupen64plus? If that's the case then I really doubt it would run any better than an emulator on PC... Huh

I'm guessing that wasn't your point though. Tongue
Yeah... Tongue
Has anyone tried running conker's bad fur day on nintendo's official n64 emulator for the Wii?
Pages: 1 2