Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Optimal Settings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

What would be the optimal settings for Dolphin using this hardware:
Processor: Intel Quad Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 2GB GDDR5
Memory: 8GB DDR3

I also noticed that some older versions of Dolphin seem to run faster (since they are less accurate), especially in some games like Mario Kart Wii. Would it be better to use an older version such as 3.0/3.5 or a newer one like 4.0.1? Would there be a huge speed difference between the 2 if the later versions have optimal settings? (Like, when using higher resolutions, etc.)

Thanks,
- AwesomeMarioFan
The newest versions run the fastest.
Newest version meaning the latest dev builds: 4-7xxx
(07-21-2015, 05:30 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]The newest versions run the fastest.

(07-21-2015, 06:21 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Newest version meaning the latest dev builds: 4-7xxx

Thanks! One more question, I am currently using Dolphin version 4.0.1 stable with DirectX9, would it be better to upgrade to the newest dev build and use DirectX11? 9 runs better on my computer but I'm not sure if they optimized 11 since then. Since I have an Nvidia card I understand that OpenGL was supposed to be the fastest, but I haven't been able to get it to run faster than DirectX9.
D3D9 is faster than D3D11, because it's inaccurate and causes many graphical bugs. That's why support for it was dropped. You may get worse performance if you stop using D3D9, but your games will look closer to the way they do on a console. If your OpenGL performance is bad on the latest builds, you might want to try the Ishiiruka branch, as it focuses on D3D9/11 speedups that aren't available in master (due to the glitches that the speedups cause).
Quote:[color=#000000]D3D9 is faster than D3D11[/color]

I'm... Not sure about that one?
(07-21-2015, 08:08 AM)Aleron Ives Wrote: [ -> ]D3D9 is faster than D3D11.

Only if the internal resolution is 3x or lower. At higher resolutons (4x or higher), D3D11 is *a whole lot* faster.