Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Need advice building a dedicated emulation system
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

krawhitham

I'm looking to build a dedicated emulate box that can handle everything from Atari 2600 to Game Cube. My Budget is $600.

I have a makeshift cloud server (dedicated ubuntu server with 8 HDD attached that serves files to a few Fire TVs) that will host the ROMs/Images so I think 128GB SSD will be enough.

From what I read the G3258 will overclock to around 4.5, and that Dolphin only use 2 cores so anything else is overkill. Is that true?

Does a GeForce GTX 750 Ti have enough power to run Dolphin full tilt?

Will a GeForce GTX 750 Ti allow me to "gamestream" using limelight app on my Fire TVs?

So do you think this system fill my needs, anything a should upgrade or downgrade?

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($53.48 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($54.05 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B85M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($61.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Enthusiast Edition Video Card  ($121.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone SG05BB-LITE Mini ITX Desktop Case ($36.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Silverstone 300W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply ($49.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $482.36
yeah its true, dolphin use only two cores, i have six cores cpu but its only usefull in pc game with more than two cores usage, for example in dolphin the g3258 oc at 4.5 Ghz can do better result than my cpu and yes 750 ti its enough for dolphin.
At the begining i was thinking dolphin use more than 2 cores but one admin tell me dolphin use only two cores.
For intel-approved overclocking you should get a Z97-Motherboard. The 750 Ti should be fine for 1080p. It will allow streaming to your fireTVs. I tried this myself with a fireTV-Stick and I got 720p60 working with a 20-40ms delay. However this also depends on your network, maybe you get better results. Streaming to my Phone however only had 5-7ms delay, so probably the stick was not up to the task.
This guy on youtube can turn mario kart double dash at 60 frame per second with the gtx 750 ti. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=720gDF9rD8I  so i think no problem with this graphics card in 1080p settings
Make sure you read the compatability notes at the bottom of your list. I personally think you should upgrade your psu to at least 400 watts, maybe even 500 watts to make sure you get a good overclock. A mini itx Z97 motherboard is out of the question for you since it would skyrocket the cost of your machine. Just make sure that motherboard can use the penitum without a bios update or else you are in for a lot of frustration.
Pentium power man.

The G3528 is one of the best processors out there, once you overclock it. It dominates p much all emulators when OC'd to 4.2 GHz
If you're doing a dedicated emu build, then the CPU is going to be your #1 priority. Emulators tend not to care (As far as I know) if you have a bunch of threads, so you'll want a CPU with very high IPC performance. Supposedly that Pentium G3528 absolutely demolishes Dolphin, I'm guessing it would run other emus well too.

A good GPU is icing on the cake though, as that indicates how high you can set the rendering resolution in emulators that use D3D or OpenGL renderers for graphics and turn on some graphical enhancements.