Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Tilting in New Super Mario Bros
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

suprdave

Hi all,

I can't seem to make a new thread in the "Wii" section, so mods please move this to there if that is where it belongs.

For some reason in New Super Mario Bros I cannot operate the cannons in Toad's house to shoot those balloons for the 1ups. I am using an Xbox 360 controller with Dolphin. I have configured the tilt options to use one of the thumbsticks. Those work in other aspects of the game but the cannons do not move at all.

Is there something I am missing for this?

Thank you for your help!
Maybe it is a different configuration for tilting in those cannons. If not, have you tried cleaning the buttons and reconfiguring the tilt on controllers menu?
Short answer: Set your axis to left and right tilt with sideways wiimote on.

Long answer: The basic Wii Remote only has an accelerometer inside of it, which can only read lateral momentum and cannot detect rotation. But! Nintendo geniusly put the accelerometer offcenter, right near the A button. So if a game wants a tilt, it waits instead for it to be raised or lowered. Since the action of tilting the wiimote raises or lowers the off-center sensor... it works! Nintendo is super smart. Smile Aaaanyway, normally Dolphin would read this as "tilt up" and "tilt down", but sideways wiimote recognizes that the wiimote is sideways, so right and left tilt are the options you wish to use here.

suprdave

(07-21-2015, 12:08 AM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]Short answer: Set your axis to left and right tilt with sideways wiimote on.

Long answer: The basic Wii Remote only has an accelerometer inside of it, which can only read lateral momentum and cannot detect rotation. But! Nintendo geniusly put the accelerometer offcenter, right near the A button. So if a game wants a tilt, it waits instead for it to be raised or lowered. Since the action of tilting the wiimote raises or lowers the off-center sensor... it works! Nintendo is super smart. Smile Aaaanyway, normally Dolphin would read this as "tilt up" and "tilt down", but sideways wiimote recognizes that the wiimote is sideways, so right and left tilt are the options you wish to use here.

Thanks! I already had tilt left and right set, but did not have sideways wiimote checked. I've checked that and will try again.

suprdave

Unfortunately it is still not working. Here is a picture of my current settings: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/170406/wiimote.JPG

What am I missing?

Thank you for your help!