Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Things to do after updating Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there something you should do after updating Dolphin? For example, I'm coming from an release pushed over six month ago.
I'm trying to think, and there isn't anything big coming to mind. Your save states (NOT save data, like files saved on Memory Cards) probably won't work. There was a change a while back that broke the ISO directory setting (this tells Dolphin where to find games to populate your game list) so you have to set that again.
Audio framelimiter was removed and replaced with 5fps, so if your emulation is pretty slow, just check this.
But to be honest, did you try to just start any game? You usually don't have to do anything.
There isn't really anything you need to do after updating, but when updating, make sure that none of the old files are left. You should always extract Dolphin into an empty directory, not one with existing Dolphin files. Otherwise, you might get problems with game INIs having old values.
(07-20-2015, 05:13 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]Audio framelimiter was removed and replaced with 5fps, so if your emulation is pretty slow, just check this.
But to be honest, did you try to just start any game? You usually don't have to do anything.

I have slowdown issues with some Wii games, Mario Kart Wii slows down when a new race is starting and the game is loading. I have a similar issue with Super Mario Galaxy, sometimes there's audio distortion (DSP HLE emulation disabled).
I will do a clean installation, should I also remove the files in C:\Users\User\Documents\Dolphin Emulator? I will backup my save files.

How do I check the replaced audio framelimiter setting?
(07-20-2015, 06:40 PM)Sgt. Pepper Wrote: [ -> ]I will do a clean installation, should I also remove the files in C:\Users\User\Documents\Dolphin Emulator? I will backup my save files.

No, that's not necessary.
(07-20-2015, 05:17 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]There isn't really anything you need to do after updating, but when updating, make sure that none of the old files are left. You should always extract Dolphin into an empty directory, not one with existing Dolphin files. Otherwise, you might get problems with game INIs having old values.

Would this be an issue if you told your OS to just overwrite wherever necessary?

* Helios has been doing it this way and wondering if he borked something.
It really depends on the contents of the update. As JosJuice said, you might get problems with Game INIs having old values. This particular PR deduplicated a bunch of Game INIs, deleting a bunch of the inis and moving their contents into non-region-specific files, saving a bunch of HDD space. If you had just told your OS to overwrite all files, then the old gameinis would still be there and they may tell Dolphin turn on a bunch of settings that the game doesn't really need in the new updates.