Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How well can I expect to run these games?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Shrimp

Hi
So far I have only used Dolphin to play Gamecube games, but since my sister recently bought me a Dolphinbar for my birthday (hopefully she didn't forget to change the delivery address) I figured I should put it to use. However I'm not sure how well my computer can handle Wii games... the only GC games I played were Baten Kaitos (ran perfectly) and Twilight Princess (ran very well, save for that damn Hyrule Field, but I understand it's a rather common problem in this game). Here are my current specs:

Windows 8.1 x64
Intel i5 4440 @ 3.10GHz
Radeon R9 270X
Kingston 8Go DDR3

I'm afraid my CPU might hamper the global performance, but I'm not sure if it can be overclocked easily. The games I'd like to play first are Xenoblade and Skyward Sword, I'm not really interested in any graphical enhancements (but if it can be done, all the better), what kind of performance shall I expect?

Thank you for your time.
Hi.

(07-20-2015, 06:29 AM)Shrimp Wrote: [ -> ]save for that damn Hyrule Field, but I understand it's a rather common problem in this game

You can fix that easily by using AR codes and have the game running flawlessly. Follow the steps on *link removed* description.

As for other Wii games, I'm sure other users can help you better than I can. For all I know a 4th gen i5 works pretty well (I have a 4590 and Brawl runs with no slowdown, Galaxy has lag but that's because I don't have an offboard GPU). Since you have a 270X I suppose you could go for higher resolutions with no problem, but I'm just guessing. As I said, someone else should be able to help you with technicalities. You can always check the Dolphin wiki page and search for users' experience under a game's entry, they tell you which hardware works for what.

Like here. Click on [expand] to see more.
I don't particularly like how that video doesn't link to the official Dolphin website. The latest development builds should have that AR code by default as well after they removed the hardcoded ZTP hack. (r/c TP in the game list -> Properties -> Cheats)