Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Importance of graphics card?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

grizzybeard

I'm building a PC specifically for emulation. I've picked up a G3258 and a new motherboard for it, and I'll be using other old parts for the rest of the build.

I only have an old ATI HD4850 as a graphics card- will this be sufficient for Dolphin (and PCSX2). I'll be upgrading the graphics card at a later date, but will me using it now create a huge performance bottleneck? I don't care about 1080p, or any graphical enhancements- just a smooth 60fps.

Also do any of the emulation front ends work with Dolphin, I'd like something like hyperspin as the sole frontend for the system. It'll be hooked up to a TV and I don't want to be  moving to a regular GUI to play some Gamecube/Wii.

Cheers.

grizzybeard

(07-18-2015, 08:55 AM)OatmealDome Wrote: [ -> ]See the FAQ.

Yeah I've seen it already.

It gave me a feel, but doesn't tell me all that much. I mean the 4850 will walk all over the HD3000, but it falls slightly below the HD5770- though it will have less modern features than the HD5770.

I'm more asking if anyone has experience with Dolphin and PCSX2- which are mostly CPU intensive applications- on an older graphics card. Bells an whistles aren't my thing. I just need a decent frame rate at 480p.

If I'm told that there's no way the HD4850 will cope with the emulators and be a huge bottleneck, then I'll find the funds to get a more modern graphics card now.

Thanks.
My Nvidia 9800GT 512MB can handle 3xIR(1920x1584) just fine . Your 4850 should be the same if not better

grizzybeard

(07-18-2015, 09:10 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]My Nvidia 9800GT 512MB can handle 3xIR(1920x1584) just fine . Your 4850 should be the same if not better

Cheers buddy.

Excellent news.