Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Question about 60fps hacks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Why for some games it was easier to create hacks and for other games it wasn't? Why no one managed to create one for the zelda games, even though there are hacks for the pikmin games and super mario sunshine(which BTW has a perfect hack that does no problem at all even but is slower)?
Iam not an expert or something, but is there anything I can do to help finding a way to create such a hack for the zelda games? Does it require some sort of programming knowledge?
Because what one game may be easier to write a 60fps patch, another game requires a lot more work. It is hard what I've heard but not impossible, but I wouldn't hold your breath though someone eventually is bound to make one just give it some time and you'll see =)
disclaimer: I heard about this and it may not be accurate

I heard that Super Mario Sunshine actually has some variable frame rate code left in the game, so all that needed to be done was to change the framerate value from 30 -> 60. Other games may be different as they may be designed to run at 30fps, and they might actually tie the game logic to the frame rate. Unlocking the frame rate could do disastrous things in those games.
(07-17-2015, 08:57 AM)OatmealDome Wrote: [ -> ]disclaimer: I heard about this and it may not be accurate

I heard that Super Mario Sunshine actually has some variable frame rate code left in the game, so all that needed to be done was to change the framerate value from 30 -> 60. Other games may be different as they may be designed to run at 30fps, and they might actually tie the game logic to the frame rate. Unlocking the frame rate could do disastrous things in those games.

So Super Mario Sunshine works great in 60FPS becuase it was designed to work at this speed and the developers locked it to 30FPS? It also means that if the animations of the zelda games were designed to run at 30 fps, a 60FPS patch would make them run at double speed and maybe even break the physics?

BTW, can you tell me where you saw that, and maybe send a link if you can?
(07-17-2015, 09:03 AM)DolphinPC Wrote: [ -> ](snip)

So Super Mario Sunshine works great in 60FPS becuase it was designed to work at this speed and the developers locked it to 30FPS? It also means that if the animations of the zelda games were designed to run at 30 fps, a 60FPS patch would make them run at double speed and maybe even break the physics?

SMS was not designed to run at 60FPS. The code was probably left there as leftovers from development and debugging. I'm not saying that Zelda has game logic tied to FPS either, I'm just saying that some games (and not specifically Zelda games) may have chosen to be programmed in this (poor) way and 60FPS hacks may never be made for them. It more or less comes down to if somebody has the time, has interest and is willing to create the hack, debug it, and make sure it works and doesn't break anything.

Edit: technical workings of the 60FPS hack for SMS: http://jul.rustedlogic.net/thread.php?id=17475
It can be even worse if games use the framerate to track things such as in-game time, in which case changing the FPS to 60 could result in all time limits being cut in half.
(07-17-2015, 09:11 AM)OatmealDome Wrote: [ -> ]

SMS was not designed to run at 60FPS. The code was probably left there as leftovers from development and debugging. I'm not saying that Zelda has game logic tied to FPS either, I'm just saying that some games (and not specifically Zelda games) may have chosen to be programmed in this (poor) way and 60FPS hacks may never be made for them. It more or less comes down to if somebody has the time, has interest and is willing to create the hack, debug it, and make sure it works and doesn't break anything.

Edit: technical workings of the 60FPS hack for SMS: http://jul.rustedlogic.net/thread.php?id=17475

So what you are saying is that the patch would be possible only if the animation and physics are not tied to the framerate like the NFS Rivals video you posted? Because when someone tried to create such a patch for ocarina of time, some elements were running at 3 times their original speed.
(07-17-2015, 09:24 AM)DolphinPC Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-17-2015, 09:11 AM)OatmealDome Wrote: [ -> ]

So what you are saying is that the patch would be possible only if the animation and physics are not tied to the framerate like the NFS Rivals video you posted? Because when someone tried to create such a patch for ocarina of time, some elements were running at 3 times their original speed.

You got it jimbo. Take for example Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition. There is a 60fps patch for both games (OOT and MM) that makes animations run 60fps, however, when Link falls off ledges he will drop at 2x speed, defying the laws of gravity. That is why there are additional patches to remedy these behaviors accordingly to their intended frames, and that is why it is difficult to come up with a hack for several other Zelda games which is what OatmealDome was explaining if I'm correct.
I have a question for the devs, out of curiosity.
isn't there a way to add frames via ogl or 3dx? kinda like vertex animation interpolation...
i am no coder so i'll explain by example: in quake 1 the monster animations where keyframed at 15 keys per second.
later versions of the engine added some code that took two keyframes and interpolated new keyframes inbetween, so the final animation really worked in the same framerate as your fps.
that way, dolphin could render internally at its normal framerate, and the 3d drawing runs with 60 fps.

i had an plugin for an early version of epsx-e which did exactly that, i played gran turismo at 60 fps instead of 30 (although the controls were still 30fps)
thanks for explanations that are understandable for a newb Wink
(07-19-2015, 06:13 AM)NoZart Wrote: [ -> ]I have a question for the devs, out of curiosity.
isn't there a way to add frames via ogl or 3dx? kinda like vertex animation interpolation...
i am no coder so i'll explain by example: in quake 1 the monster animations where keyframed at 15 keys per second.
later versions of the engine added some code that took two keyframes and interpolated new keyframes inbetween, so the final animation really worked in the same framerate as your fps.
that way, dolphin could render internally at its normal framerate, and the 3d drawing runs with 60 fps.

i had an plugin for an early version of epsx-e which did exactly that, i played gran turismo at 60 fps instead of 30 (although the controls were still 30fps)
thanks for explanations that are understandable for a newb Wink

Dolphin tries to emulate the games, not changing them, so it needs to be done for every game separately. I wish I could help to create a 60 fps patch for the zelda games (especialy with the option to oc the gamecube/wii cpu in dolphin), and I hope that someone will try and succeed in doing so (if the animations and physics aren't tied to framerate, otherwise the game will become a mess). It really depends on the game, not the emulator.
Pages: 1 2