Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: The Iris Pro 6200: yay or nay?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone,

I thought I'd ask here since I can't really find much information about the Iris Pro 6200 and Dolphin - probably because it's very expensive. My plans to build an HTPC are finally coming to an end. A year ago, I figured to stick with integrated graphics in a tight HTPC case to keep the heath down. Today, I think this is still the best option. I still want to play games such as Super Mario Galaxy, Donkey Kong Country Returns and Mario Kart Wii, in 2x IR at least. I do not care for AA. Dolphin has gotten a lot better than a year ago (which I thank all of you for), and new computers parts have of course been released: so, my question:
will an Iris Pro 6200 be able to handle this? It seems like a very powerful little chip, but since I can't find any confirmation at all, I'd like your thoughts before spending a ton of money on it.

Thanks in advance,
Anthe
Shonumi Wrote:I can't speak for cooling, but the IGP (HD 4600 I believe, or something like that) on a 4670K should be more than sufficient for 2x IR in many games, and 3x IR in lighter, non-demanding games. It's a good option to save on costs, power usage, and generated heat. 2x IR is a little larger than 720p and 3x IR is a little larger than 1080p.

I think Dolphin's GPU requirements have gotten heavier, so an HD 4600 won't perform quite as well today. But the HD 4600 should be able to handle 2x IR most of the time. By that logic, an Iris Pro 6200 will have no problem. It'll laugh at 2x IR and ask for more. Not sure about going higher than that, so I'll let someone more knowledgeable than I am speak on the subject.

Do note that Intel IGPs are known to have weird graphical issues (driver related it seems). Dunno if it's just specific models, but it goes without saying that you should use the latest driver of whatever is available. I don't expect you'll run into game-breaking situations though, at least not frequently.
Thank you for your reply. I'm amazed by the graphical power of this thing. It costs a lot, but it'll bring "fun fun fun". For an HTPC, the Iris Pro 6200 also seems a good choice for the future, regarding the processing of 4K video.

Again, thank you for your help.
I'm using Intel HD 4600, and I'm happy because it runs most of the games 60fps with 1.5x IR, heavier games lag _a bit_ occasionally with anything else than 1x, which is still okay, as I can play all games on my passive HTPC.
From my point of view, if I were to build an HTPC today, I would LOVE to have Iris Pro 6200 onboard, as it would certainly make all games playable with at least IR 2x.
And there are very few problems with Intel Windows drivers today, with Dolphin.

It would be nice to know if it can handle 2.5-3x, If anyone has tested please reply Smile ?
Iris Pro 6200 should be able to handle a tier over the A10-7850k
I don't know exactly when I'll get this system but I'll surely report on the games I own when I get to it.
Please do. I'm very curious how the broadwell IGP architecture handles dolphin.
Okay, so the system is up and running. I'll make a few video's of some games with an external capture device. Unfortunately, once I enter exclusive fullscreen, I can't really get out of it. If I alt-enter again, Dolphin draws the windowed resolution but with screen-filling black bars around it. It's a bit of an annoyance but I can live with it. Also I'm not in the right subforum for this, sorry :p
Don't make videos. That adds way too much overhead. Just turn on the fps counter and take screenshots if you want to provide verification.
For Example : SMG - Comet Observatory - 3xIR (+AA if possible)
Pages: 1 2