Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Best CPU is best for Dolphin's Performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to run Dolphin at 100% at 4k

What would you recommend?

Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) Overclocked to 4.8GHz

OR

Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz (Six-Core) Overclocked to 4.8GHz
There shouldn't be a difference, at least nothing notable. At the same speeds, both CPUs will run near identically. The only advantage the i7-5930K has is 5 more MB of L3 Cache. I don't think the L3 Cache will translate into a deal breaker. Both CPUs are overkill for running near everything in Dolphin at 100% fullspeed.

You don't need either CPU to play most games at fullspeed though. An i5-4690K at 4.4GHz will do that without breaking the bank. Dolphin is chiefly a dual-core application, so adding more cores doesn't magically make it go faster. Intel's top quad-core models have been sufficient to run near any game in Dolphin fullspeed for quite some time now.

However, if you're specifically interested in 4K gaming, do note that the GPU should be the primary focus of your attention when shopping for hardware. The CPU requirements do go up when using 4K, but we've had users get along fine with 4K gaming in Dolphin on Haswell CPUs for a while.
(07-15-2015, 03:02 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]There shouldn't be a difference, at least nothing notable. At the same speeds, both CPUs will run near identically. The only advantage the i7-5930K has is 5 more MB of L3 Cache. I don't think the L3 Cache will translate into a deal breaker. Both CPUs are overkill for running near everything in Dolphin at 100% fullspeed.

You don't need either CPU to play most games at fullspeed though. An i5-4690K at 4.4GHz will do that without breaking the bank. Dolphin is chiefly a dual-core application, so adding more cores doesn't magically make it go faster. Intel's top quad-core models have been sufficient to run near any game in Dolphin fullspeed for quite some time now.

However, if you're specifically interested in 4K gaming, do note that the GPU should be the primary focus of your attention when shopping for hardware. The CPU requirements do go up when using 4K, but we've had users get along fine with 4K gaming in Dolphin on Haswell CPUs for a while.

I am thinking of a GeForce GTX 980 Ti 2-Way SLI. Thoughts?
Dolphin can't use SLI. A Single 980 TI will be more than enough though
(07-15-2015, 04:43 PM)Benze Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin can't use SLI. A Single 980 TI will be more than enough though

I am building a system with SLI. Will Dolphin be able to run?
Yes but it will use only one of the cards, same as any other software that does not have a SLI-Profile.
(07-15-2015, 04:51 PM)guevp619 Wrote: [ -> ]I am building a system with SLI. Will Dolphin be able to run?

Yep, it'll work just fine. Dolphin just won't use the second GPU.

If you are planning to run at 4K, your planned CPU and GPU will work just fine, in fact, they are overkill even for this. I assume you're planning on building this enthusiast-grade PC for PC gaming as well, though.
Heck, isn't there some pentium class CPU that actually pushes dolphin in particular nearly just as well as (insert i3/5/7 here)?
The Pentium G3258 can OC as well as the K model i5 and i7 Haswell CPUs. The only thing is that it's strictly dual-core, so it's at a slight disadvantage when it comes to running Dolphin. Quad-core systems gain something like 5-10% increase in performance because they have more resources to process background stuff (like your OS).