Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Performance Tanked and I Don't Know Why
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello, I have been using Dolphin for a long time now (since 2.x) and everything was working great but I tried to start it up today and am getting 0FPS in every game I try. I have tried setting all graphics settings to native/lowest and tried with and without audio and switched between audio backends all to no avail. The only thing that has changed about my PC since the last time I used Dolphin is my video card, I now have an R9-290 but would that cause a problem?

My PC Specs:

CPU: AMD FX6300 @3.5Ghz
GPU: AMD R9 290
RAM: 16GB GSkill
HDD: 128GB SanDisk SSD x2

Not sure what else to post other than I am using build 4.0-7007. Any help is appreciated.
did it stop working after you only changed the card or did it occur when you updated something (dolphin version, drivers, etc.)? Did you download the drivers for your new card?
Drivers are latest version, I actually updated Dolphin before I tried it with the new card so I don't know what version I had that worked before.
0FPS sounds like Dolphin might somehow be having trouble actually starting the game. Have you tried an earlier Dolphin revision? If worse comes to worse, see if 4.0.2 will work.
It starts the game but it is so slow that it reads as 0 FPS, I'll try to find the earlier build that worked before.
Sounds simple, but did you try using a different video backend? Also try running in windowed mode.
Maybe you got a driver problem, so get a tool to cleanly delete your old graphics driver and the new one. Then make a clean install of the correct one.

And you could check if it's a Dolphin settings or cache issue, by creating an empty "portable.txt" in the same folder where the Dolphin.exe is. That way, Dolphin will start without any settings. If that works, you have to figure out what exactly Dolphin does not like. If it doesn't work, just delete the portable.txt again, so it uses the folder under documents again.
Ok, I did a complete clean install of video drivers just to be sure. I installed the older driver that I had when Dolphin worked and now I can get 2-4 FPS. I tried both video backends and same result with both. I tried running Dolphin in portable mode to check clean settings and that had same result. At this point I'm just wondering if it's my video card cause I'm not sure what else it could be.
Post pictures of your graphics and config tabs to an image hosting site (like imgur) and then link them here so we can see how you have your Dolphin set up
Ok I finally got things working on v4.0.2. It seems something about the latest builds just doesn't agree with my PC.
Pages: 1 2