Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Frame-rate goes down when entering full screen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If I run dolphin emulator with about 7x internal and highest aa options, in either back end (with full-screen on), it never utilizes 99 percent of my gpu like other heavy applications do. none of my cpu cores are maxed out either (I am monitoring these things with msi afterburner). The game will lag, and gpu usage fluctuates from 65 to about 88 percent. if I hit the windows key on my keyboard to exit full screen, gpu usage jumps to the expected usage of 99 percent, causing much better performance. I have enabled "prefer max performance" in the nvidia control panel, but it didn't do anything. Running dolphin in borderless full screen fixes this, but then it isnt as smooth as I would like it to be. Am I the only one who has this problem? Does anyone know what is going on? Oh btw I am using the latest nvidia drivers 353.30.
You probably should be using Prefer Max Quality in Nvidia, if using the D3D backend.
It says in the menu that your actual resolution should be higher than the rendering resolution. I think this means that it minimizes lag.
All speculation on my part, but it seems about right, as I can't get a game to run with no anti-aliasing on 4x but I can do 3x with 8x AA and have it run perfectly.
I'm pretty sure your actual resolution needs to be more than your internal one.
Why it only happens in full screen, I'm not sure. Maybe dolphin scales it down if it isn't. Things tend to run with better performance in Windowed mode than they do in Full Screen, too. But like you said, there is that trade off.
Most games don't really benefit from going over 4x anyway. You should only do that if you have a texture pack to go along with it, otherwise textures are going to look super bad in conjunction with everything else.
(07-15-2015, 10:18 AM)shangry Wrote: [ -> ]You probably should be using Prefer Max Quality in Nvidia, if using the D3D backend.
It says in the menu that your actual resolution should be higher than the rendering resolution. I think this means that it minimizes lag.
All speculation on my part, but it seems about right, as I can't get a game to run with no anti-aliasing on 4x but I can do 3x with 8x AA and have it run perfectly.
I'm pretty sure your actual resolution needs to be more than your internal one.
Why it only happens in full screen, I'm not sure. Maybe dolphin scales it down if it isn't. Things tend to run with better performance in Windowed mode than they do in Full Screen, too. But like you said, there is that trade off.
Most games don't really benefit from going over 4x anyway. You should only do that if you have a texture pack to go along with it, otherwise textures are going to look super bad in conjunction with everything else.

I know that 7x ir isnt worth it, however when I play with 3x internal with 4x ssaa, there are very rare instances where the lag happens because gpu usage is over 70 percent. In my post I used 7x with max aa so that someone could hopefully reproduce my issue. 7x internal res with max aa brings out the issue very clearly. I just cant figure why dolphin doesnt want to use 100 percent of my gpu in full screen.
So I guess nobody knows what is going on... It would have been nice if someone could have at least confirmed this problem.
raising IR and AA puts load on your CPU as well.
(07-29-2015, 07:28 AM)NKF98 Wrote: [ -> ]raising IR and AA puts load on your CPU as well.

Thats the thing though, none of my cpu cores are maxed.. I think there might be an issue with the way dolphin does full screen.
I doubt that anyone cares, but I figured it out. Turns out that it was because I had the triple buffering option disabled in the nvidia control panel for dolphin. For some reason, when you have vsync enabled, it doesnt let you utilize 100% of your gpu even when you are below 30 fps (If the triple buffering option is set to off). Once I enabled this option, my gpu usage is as it should be... aka its 100 percent utilized when the fps is below 30. Hope this helps someone out there.