Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 4k dolphin, how well does it run? 4k vs 1440p
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
how well does dolphin run at 4k currently for games like twilight princess and skyward sword.  considering buying a 1440p vs 4k monitor right now.  dolphin emulator is here to make my decision.
my specs are as follows
i7 5820k oc 4.3ghz
16gb ddr4 ram
gtx 970 strix
windows 7 64bit
Dolphin runs fine. Whether your computer can handle it or not...

Tongue

Right now, 4K is really pushing the limits of memory bandwidth in GPUs. That's what the "HBM" stuff is about in the new AMD cards and the next GeForces that are coming up. Even the 970 struggles with modern PC games at 4K! Add in that the CPU requirements for Dolphin go up with the resolution... it will definitely be hard for any computer to run Dolphin in 4K at fullspeed right now. But you can certainly try it!
Things shouldn't be that bad as long as the game you play doesn't need efb to ram and works fine with efb to texture using your card.
As MaJoR said, you will struggle at 4k.

This isn't an inherent flaw of Dolphin. This is just because 4k is friggin' huge and you're going to flood that framebuffer regardless of what you play. And, as she said again, this is part of what AMD's HBM and whatever nvidia is cooking up next chipset gen is looking to solve.
Nah he won't. OP, from my quick testing, you should be able to play Twilight Princess at 8xIR with 4xAA on OpenGL (haven't tested D3D). Skyward Sword shouldn't be a problem either unless it's more demanding on the GPU, but I can't test that atm for you.
Well, I usually play in 3D at 3xIR or 4xIR (depending on the game, and in N64 games usually more) with 2xMSAA, which is more than double of 1920x1080 (3D is like rendering double the pixels), and 3D requires a bit more than just the resolution increase. And I have an overclocked GTX 760.

The 970 usually delivers almost double the fps in PC games than the 760 (it's usually about 1.8 times as powerful), judging from benchmarks I've seen. So I think you'll be fine at either 6xIR or at least at 3840x2160 (auto resolution). 6xIR is 3840x3168, so it's 46.667% more pixels than 4k. You'll be fine, I think.
What monitor would you use? g-sync or non-g-sync ?

I am in the same boat. I want to run Dolphin at 4k. TRUE 4K (4096 x 2160) not "4k" (3840 X 2160)
i've read that there are alot of RMA and returns for the 4k g-sync acer has on sale already. i decided on a 1440p monitor for a few years, i can sell it then and upgrade to true 4k and g-sync modules will be alot more common by then, ive read alot of negative reviews for asus rog g-sync as well. dont want to jump on amd bandwagon as i've heard there not doing good financially, no need to get a freesync monitor anytime soon.
(07-15-2015, 10:46 PM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]Nah he won't. OP, from my quick testing, you should be able to play Twilight Princess at 8xIR with 4xAA on OpenGL (haven't tested D3D). Skyward Sword shouldn't be a problem either unless it's more demanding on the GPU, but I can't test that atm for you.

Does anyone know what this resolution is btw?
5120x4224.
Pages: 1 2