Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Full Screen Doesn't Work Properly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
System: Windows 8.1 x64 running Dolphin 4.0 x64 Build 7005.

I have an IPS monitor that runs at 2560x1440 native. I like to run my monitor at 1920x1080 in Windows 8.1. But when running in this resolution when Dolphin goes exclusive full screen the game doesn't fill the screen, if I alt tab it fills up the screen, but when I put focus back into dolphin it doesn't.

The only way to get Dolphin to fill up the screen is by going to my native 2560x1440 resolution and choose Auto for the full screen resolution, no other combination works.

How can I run at 1920x1080 with the screen filled up in exclusive full screen mode?
I am not sure but try going into dolphin settings> graphics> and in general where it says "Aspect Ratio" try 16:9 and if that doesn't work try stretch to window. Let me know if it works
I had this problem when trying to OC my monitor to 4K and then playing Dolphin. Except it was only showing the top 1/4 of the screen.
What I did to fix it was to go into the Nvidia Control Panel (right click desktop and choose that from the options), then go to Adjust Desktop Size and Position, then go to the Scaling tab, and select either Full Screen or Aspect Ratio, whichever one works for you (probably Full Screen in your case). You probably have the option selected to do no scaling whatsoever.

Now, a much easier way to do it is to set your resolution in Dolphin to 1920x1080. It's the first tab in the Graphics settings, just above Aspect Ratio. I can set mine to 4K without having to change my preferences in the control panel itself, and whenever Dolphin launches a game it will immediately change it to 4K. So what you need to do is make it so that it automatically changes to 1440p when you start a game, but keeps it 1080p on everything else.
I've tried to force 16:9 , stretch to window and auto graphical settings, with every combination of the 1920x1080 setting, they all behave the same way. When I go full screen it's like it's running in 2560x1440 with the game rendering in a 1920x1080 size. The only way to get it to render using all the screen real estate in full screen is to run it at 2560x1440 which is a lot more resource intensive then 1920x1080. For now I'm just running everything in a maximized window...
This is for sure some funkiness with the way exclusive full screen works, for now, as a work-around, I have exclusive full screen disabled by enabling the "Borderless Fullscreen" option in Options->Graphic Settings->Advanced tab (under the Misc section).

Not really related to your issue but what's the point of having a 2560x1440 monitor to use only in a lower resolution?
(07-19-2015, 02:37 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]................

Not really related to your issue but what's the point of having a 2560x1440 monitor to use only in a lower resolution?

Because maybe my CPU/GPU isn't powerful enough to run all my games/emulators smoothly at that resolution.
Set your games to use a lower resolution than that of your desktop, then. You're not supposed to set your desktop resolution to below the resolution of your monitor, and it wouldn't surprise me if this strange setup is confusing Dolphin.
(07-19-2015, 02:06 PM)Aleron Ives Wrote: [ -> ]Set your games to use a lower resolution than that of your desktop, then. You're not supposed to set your desktop resolution to below the resolution of your monitor, and it wouldn't surprise me if this strange setup is confusing Dolphin.

/\ THIS
(07-19-2015, 04:13 PM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-19-2015, 02:06 PM)Aleron Ives Wrote: [ -> ]Set your games to use a lower resolution than that of your desktop, then. You're not supposed to set your desktop resolution to below the resolution of your monitor, and it wouldn't surprise me if this strange setup is confusing Dolphin.

/\ THIS

Nope, not this. Please read what I wrote. Even if I set my desktop resolution to 2560x1440 and try to tell dolphin to render at 1920x1080 full screen it doesn't work. Also using my current setup works for literally hundreds of games without issue. So if everything works the expected way and Dolphin doesn't, then it's my configuration? Gotchya.....

Also running a monitor at a non native resolutions is not that uncommon, I seen it in about 10% of computers I've supported in the last few decades. Usually as either a misconfiguration or as common method for those without excellent vision to see windows elements easier. It's a lot more compatible method than changing the windows dpi setting which many applications don't know how to handle properly.
Pages: 1 2