Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Non Over-Clocking PC Build for Dolphin. Will it Work?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am planning my next build for an Intel i5-4590 and GTX 750ti. Main reason: my PC is becoming a fossil, its time to upgrade. Will I be able to play GC games with this build at full speed in NATIVE resolutions? I know over-clocking is recommended to play games in HD but I do not care about over-clocking, nor playing in 1080p. I prefer playing in native. I guess its an old guy thing.

Secondary question: is getting a heatsink (say 212 EVO) completely unnecessary for a non OC CPU or is it a good idea just to be safe?

Thank you for your time.
You'll be able to play all but perhaps the most demanding games at full speed all the time on up to 3x or so IR. You don't need a third party cooler if you're not going to be overclocking. The stock cooler will be fine.
Thank you very much!
My GTX 750 can run all games at 3xIR(1920x1584) + FXAA + 16xAF
So , yes you can . If you don't want to OC but still want highest clock speed as possible then i7 4790k is a good choice for you
It has maximum turbo boost of 4.4GHz and you don't have to use Z97 board , just a cheap H97 board will do the job
Quote: I know over-clocking is recommended to play games in HD
idk where you get that from but if you want to play game in HD , you will need a good GPU , not CPU
Thanks for the info! I will keep that in mind. I've had my eyes on some ASUS H97s. I would love an i7 but I don't want to shell out the cash. I'm on a budget.

I know Dolphin is CPU-intensive so I assumed HD game play would require more out of the CPU.
or maybe you heard about overclocking some GPU's?? either way those specs seem fine to me. I have a GTX 580 and somehow I run my games at 1080p including LOZ : TP at 30fps( max from what I know)
Yes, I have heard of it. Most subjects on overcloacking largely gravitate toward CPU tho, so I don't hear it a lot