Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New to emulator - please help with settings for games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
MY Computer is:
Windows 7 x64
GTX 980
8GB DDR4 RAM
GTX 980 4GB
Core i7 5930K@4.3GHZ (I have no problem to OC it further to 4.4ghz if it can help, even tough I couldn't notice a difference in performance in my games when I did so.)

Note: I am using only version from 4.0 and up (I also tried to use also 4.0-6697 so keep in my that Iam always using the newest revisions when possible/recommended)

My games are: Star fox adventures, Metroid Prime 1 and 2.

My questions are:

1. is there any wat to completely fix the stuttering in Metroid prime 1 and 2? and for me, just play the game and ignore the stuttering is not an option cause it annoys me too much.

2. Star Fox Adventures: I tried both DirectX 11 and OpenGL Renderers, and using the recommended settings on the wiki, I keep getting stutters, even when Iam using 1x native resolution without Anti aliasing. I tried both LLE and HLE and nothing helped. I tried 4.0.2, 4.0-6697, 4.0-5420 and 4.0-5124.
I don't care playing in 1x or 2x native as long as it will run without frame drops (I prefer a 100% constant 60fps), and I want the most accurate emulation (the less emulation, graphic or sound bugs, the better)
What are the best settings for me to use in Star Fox Adventures?
The stuttering sound like Dolphin is generating its shader cache. The more you play a game, the less apparent it will become. New parts of the game that require Dolphin to generate different shaders may cause stuttering in the future, but it should be short-lived as you progress. If you switch between Dolphin revisions a lot, this can cause the shader cache to become invalidated, meaning Dolphin has to start all over again, and you're back to stuttering frequently. See what happens after you play for an hour or so with the same revision.
(07-13-2015, 12:53 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]The stuttering sound like Dolphin is generating its shader cache. The more you play a game, the less apparent it will become. New parts of the game that require Dolphin to generate different shaders may cause stuttering in the future, but it should be short-lived as you progress. If you switch between Dolphin revisions a lot, this can cause the shader cache to become invalidated, meaning Dolphin has to start all over again, and you're back to stuttering frequently. See what happens after you play for an hour or so with the same revision.

I read in the wiki it's a known issue with metroid games.

About Star Fox Adventures:
just for experiment, I turned off the frame linit, and I could Get a constant 90Fps ot more without sruttering' no matter what happens on screen. however, when I set the frame rate to "auto"or 60, there was some little annoying stuttering from time to time. Both my CPU and GPU are very strong, especially for dolphin, so if there's any fix (I tried using efb to texture, it helped a little bit but not enough, same goes for Skip EFB access) I don't mind the little reduction in the glowing effects quality, I just want a constant 60fps stutter free gameplay (I have to say that besides the mini stutter, I think the emulation is perfect. I used revision 4.0-6112). any Suggestions?
Well, shader cache stuttering affects all games, not just Metroid Prime. It can make MP's stuttering worse, but it should also affect Star Fox Adventures. If you can stick to one revision, test for an hour, then report back, maybe we can see if it is the shader cache or some other culprit. Try to roughly play in the same area if you can (just leave Dolphin running while you grab a bite?)