Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Metroid Prime map slowdown
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey team, got a problem here when I bring up the map on Metroid Prime. Game runs consistent throughout, and even when I pan out on the map overworld. However, when I zoom in locally the frames drop dramatically, about 50% and it is very annoying. It only happens when I bring up the map. Now this never happened before I did the refresh install on my OS (Windows 8.1). After the refresh this started happening so I quickly researched around the forums and I found several common issues with the map on Metroid Prime:

1) There was an issue ticket reported way back during 4.0.2 where the vbeam hack apparently remedies it for most users.
2) Intel drivers had limited the support for the effect (gridlines) used in the map of MP. (Could this be the culprit since I updated my Intel drivers recently? If so should I revert back the drivers and see if it works?)

Now I know what your are going to say, have I tried the latest dev. build and the answer is yes. But before I used stable 4.0.2 and that's the one I would always use for MP, so that leads me to believe that the vbeam hack had something to do with it but even then I still get the slowdown with it now. So the only conclusion that leaves me is the Intel driver update. Anyone has any other ideas or suggestions let me know.
Alright, jeez. It turned out that I did not in fact had vbeam turned on in 4.0.2. Once I enabled that sucker bam! consistent fps all across the map and in-game seems to go much faster than I remembered, must be my eyes. Another thing is that I tried 4.0-6809 and the slowdown happens again in map. Maybe this was a regression somehow or is there some new setting in the recent build that fixes it that I don't know about. Either way all is fine and dandy now.
i'm pretty sure they got rid of vbeam since 4.0.2
Yes, vbeam was just a hack back in 4.0.2. My question was if there was something that replaced it in recent dev builds that I should know about.