Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Which display for dolphin ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

danodare

I am building a machine for Dolphin, and I have two choices for the display:

- a 26 inches Nec lcd monitor with 16:9 aspect ratio and 1920x1080 resolution;
- a 19 inches Hitachi crt monitor with 4:3 aspect ratio and 1600x1200 resolution.

As far as I know, very few games are 16:9 on the gamecube and the wii, so I expect Dolphin would look better on the crt monitor.

Am I guessing right ?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Why not IPS LED , OLED or IGZO ?
Afaik , OLED are IZGO are the best displays for all 2D/3D games (Yes i have 'em)
There are plenty of 16:9 games.

danodare

I simply want to use one of the two monitors which I already own. If I won the lottery, I'd certainly buy an ips led, oled or igzo Smile

Right now, I am playing N64 games on the Hitachi 4:3 crt and it looks really nice with mupen64plus on linux as an emulator.

The question is, would it be the same for Dolphin ? I wonder since the gamecube/wii are more recent than the N64.
CRT > LCD but CRT consume more power and not good for your eyes .
Quote:If I won the lottery, I'd certainly buy an ips led, oled or igzo Smile
If you live in Japan , you can buy a thin IPS monitor for 80USD or even less .
(07-06-2015, 02:27 PM)danodare Wrote: [ -> ]As far as I know, very few games are 16:9 on the gamecube and the wii, so I expect Dolphin would look better on the crt monitor.

Very few GameCube games support 16:9 (unless you use a hack), but a lot of Wii games do.
danodare Wrote:As far as I know, very few games are 16:9 on the gamecube and the wii, so I expect Dolphin would look better on the crt monitor.

All Wii games are 16:9, with almost 2000 titles playable in Dolphin at that ratio! And many gamecube games are 16:9 as well, or can be made into 16:9.

danodare Wrote:Right now, I am playing N64 games on the Hitachi 4:3 crt and it looks really nice with mupen64plus on linux as an emulator.

The question is, would it be the same for Dolphin ? I wonder since the gamecube/wii are more recent than the N64.

The only benefit to playing an old console on a CRT is to have the perfect timings from the analog output <-> analog display, which some old interlaced consoles like the genesis and super nintendo relied upon for some complex effects. Playing an emulator via a digital output to an analog device will not recreate those things.

Also, I don't believe the N64 even uses those timing tricks. But I know for certain that the GameCube and Wii do not, the games are rendered in progressive and then converted to interlaced (if required) by the xfb. That's why Dolphin has no interacing problems... excluding like one really dumb game and a few FMVs that use interlacing to save space.

admin89 Wrote:CRT > LCD

That hasn't been true for years! LCDs have already surpassed all of the benefits of CRTs in response time, viewing angles, and contrast ratios. Add in the LCD benefits of sharper pixels (no analog blurring that happens on high resolution CRTs), higher resolution screens, lower power usage, easier on the eyes, and not weighing a ton, and there isn't any reason to go with a CRT today.
Quote:LCDs have already surpassed all of the benefits of CRTs in response time, viewing angles, and contrast ratios
While it's true that LCD includes TN , IPS , VA , OLED/AMOLED/IGZO
But when people mention LCD monitor , 100% they mean TN Panel . It sucks ! Viewing angle is absolutely terrible while CRT's viewing angle , color , contrast ratios are almost perfect
(07-06-2015, 04:20 PM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]That's why Dolphin has no interacing problems...

Is true, no interacing probrem with Dorphin. Very good picture, no scanrines.

But seriously there are GC/Wii games that use double-strike (single field) mode - Tony Hawk 3, Megaman Anniversary Collection, all NES/SNES VC... They look fine when emulated, but different from how they look on a proper interlaced display.

danodare

My nec 2690wuxi is indeed a very old lcd monitor, none of the fancy new stuff.

If I sum up everyone's opinions, I guess I am better off with a 4:3 monitor for gamecube emulation, and better off with a 16:9 monitor for wii emulation.

Thanks everyone who answered.
Pages: 1 2