Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Crazy idea to speed up emulation on select hardware
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

professorjackk2099

OK, so bare with me.
As far as I know, the Dolphin emulator software only uses dual-core to emulate.
What if I disabled 6 of the cores in my 8-core processor (thus cooling down A LOT) and then apply a ridiculous overclock like 6.3 GHz (Around that range)
In theory Dolphin should run SUPER good on games like Metroid Prime, Resident evil 4, e.t.c.
There may even be a speed up in other dual-core software such as the Source Engine (TF2, HL2, Portal, e.t.c.)

What do you guys think? Do I sound completely stupid? Once I get my new liquid cooler from Coolermaster I can conduct the experiment   Big Grin

*Edit* Posting specs as required by the rules.
Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 2GB Graphics Card
Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR3 RAM
Crosshair V Formula Z Motherboard
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS

Dolphin Build 4.0-6953 (The "official" as of 7/4/2015) - From https://dolphin-emu.org/
(07-05-2015, 12:53 PM)professorjackk2099 Wrote: [ -> ]What do you guys think? Do I sound completely stupid?

Yes.
I mean this thread doesn't work anyways,  but even if it did it would make no difference on AMD hardware.  You could overclock to 9Ghz and still be matched by i5's
>Overclocking an already hot processor

If you want your house to burn down, DO IT.
It is true that Dolphin mainly use 2 cores but you should leave 2 cores for background task
A Quad core is up to 20% faster than a dual core in Dolphin Benchmark
Seeing OP's specs,  I'm actually perplexed by his decision to pair an expensive nvidia graphics card with a lackluster AMD CPU.  Why spend extra on the GPU and not match it with the CPU?  If anything an Intel/AMD GPU combo makes more sense.
Your CPU already dynamically clocks based on the overall thermal envelope. "Shutting down the cores it's not using" is something it already does, along with shutting down execution units it's not using, clock-gating, and other power-control strategies.

professorjackk2099

(07-06-2015, 04:14 AM)Nintonito Wrote: [ -> ]Seeing OP's specs,  I'm actually perplexed by his decision to pair an expensive nvidia graphics card with a lackluster AMD CPU.  Why spend extra on the GPU and not match it with the CPU?  If anything an Intel/AMD GPU combo makes more sense.

Well, I did not have much of a choice as the entire system build was completely anonymous to me at the time (christmas present)

professorjackk2099

(07-05-2015, 04:31 PM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]>Overclocking an already hot processor

Well like I said, disabling 6 of the cores (cool down)... maybe just 5
I would only believe this would allow more overclocking headroom
(07-06-2015, 05:38 AM)professorjackk2099 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-05-2015, 04:31 PM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]>Overclocking an already hot processor

Well like I said, disabling 6 of the cores (cool down)... maybe just 5
I would only believe this would allow more overclocking headroom
Firstly that's not actually how processors work,  secondly even if that worked your processor is already so bloody slow that buying any i5 would still blitz in emulation and be 2x more efficient.
Pages: 1 2