Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Playing off disc directly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

jz533

Will Dolphin EVER be able to support loading a commercial game? Is it even a possibility?

Got myself a copy of SSBB, but no Wii or supported PC drive. I also don't have many friends with a Wii, let alone a hacked one. Loading directly from a PC would be amazing.
No. Dolphin will most likely never support loading the original, commercial disc directly. Only a handful of DVD drives could read Nintendo's discs. They did so via firmware hacks and were painfully slow. Your best bet is just to drop $30-$50 on a used Wii (they're everywhere online, and they literally cost no more than a new game) and use Homebrew to dump your copy of SSBB. Hacking the Wii is incredibly simple as well.

jz533

(07-03-2015, 01:42 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]No. Dolphin will most likely never support loading the original, commercial disc directly. Only a handful of DVD drives could read Nintendo's discs. They did so via firmware hacks and were painfully slow. Your best bet is just to drop $30-$50 on a used Wii (they're everywhere online, and they literally cost no more than a new game) and use Homebrew to dump your copy of SSBB. Hacking the Wii is incredibly simple as well.

Darn was worth a shot Undecided thing is I bought this powerful PC to run Wii games, so it almost makes more sense for me to just buy a Wii and ditch Dolphin all together.

If I were to buy a DVD drive for the PC that supports ripping games with Rawdump or Friidump, could I rip a double layered disc?
Friidump can dump the dual-layer discs, but Rawdump cannot (even though it says it can).
if you'd searched this before posting on it, you'd know the answer :/