Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Why can my computer run Paper Mario: TTYD perfectly?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
That is not a misspelling in the title. I am genuinely wondering why I can run Paper Mario: TTYD fullspeed given my specs:

i3-4160, HD 4400, 4 GB DDR3 RAM

I have heard that this game specifically needs a more powerful GPU (for some hardware feature), but it runs flawlessly on this hardware, and I'm doing upscaling too!

I am using the OpenGL backend, JIT64, default settings, 1.5x, and the latest stable Dolphin build (I don't bother with developer ones) and it's just too good to be true. Why am I not getting any FPS drops or anything anywhere? I was expecting to be kind of sad seeing it lag, but it's running perfectly. Also, I gave PCSX2 a shot and I can run these games fullspeed which PCSX2 devs state are very demanding:

1.Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

2.Zone of the Enders

3.Gran Turismo 4

4.All Jak & Daxter+Ratchet & Clank series.

Is it just a myth that integrated graphics are not good enough or am I in dreamland here? Some of my other GameCube games run flawlessly with upscaling too, and this is with 'DSP LLE' setting enabled on top of everything:

1.Luigi's Mansion

2.The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

3.Mario Party 5

4.Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

EDIT: Perhaps another awesome thing to note is that I got this whole computer for $140.00 U.S.D. online, and it's allowing me to play all my favorite games via emulation flawlessly.
Isn't it a light-weight game ? GPU demanding games are SMG 1 & 2 , Metroid Series , Zelda SS....
HD 4400 and HD 4600 can handle 2xIR in most games and 2.5xIR in some light-weight games
Yes , i have HD 4600
HD 4400 plays almost everything in 1xIR
Paper Mario: TTYD isn't actually especially GPU intensive in the regular way. It's just that it happens to use a feature that can be very badly supported depending on what GPU you use.
I also have a 4160 (albeit with an older AMD GPU too) and I have to agree, it's a really capable chip. Haswell, decent clock speed, hyperthreading. One thing I suggest doing is to make sure Dolphin is forced to two hardware threads; I made a thread about it.

(07-01-2015, 01:12 PM)AngieWho Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps another awesome thing to note is that I got this whole computer for $140.00 U.S.D. online, and it's allowing me to play all my favorite games via emulation flawlessly.
That's an extremely good deal.