Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Pushing my GPU harder in dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Because I typically use my pc for big AAA titles I have a rather beefy GPU in my rig, a gtx 980, and even with the internal resolution @ 8x, Anti-aliasing @ 8x, and anisotropic filtering @ 16x + rendering this @ 4k downsampled to 1080p. I usually only hit around 60% usage on most games, is there any way I can push my GPU further in dolphin or am I at the current limit?
(07-01-2015, 06:55 AM)St8guy Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any way I can push my GPU further?

Select the OpenGL backend, set the internal resolution to 8x, enable per-pixel lighting, 16xAF and 9xSSAA.

Enjoy the slideshow Big Grin

NOTE: Even the Fury X / Titan X is too slow for that monster resolution [16K (!), equivalent of 24xIR].
All those settings together are an overkill for a 1080p monitor, i am pretty certain you won't notice a difference in quality even if you drop them a bit. Never mind raising them.
(07-01-2015, 07:05 AM)kirbypuff Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-01-2015, 06:55 AM)St8guy Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any way I can push my GPU further?

Select the OpenGL backend, set the internal resolution to 8x, enable per-pixel lighting, 16xAF and 9xSSAA.

Enjoy the slideshow Big Grin

NOTE: Even the Fury X / Titan X is too slow for that monster resolution [16K (!), equivalent of 24xIR].

Ya even at 4x SSAA I was getting only around 12 fps, I was a slide show but a damn good looking one Tongue
For 1080p, I recommend 6xIR (for optimal sharpness and reduced aliasing), 4xAA (removes the remaining aliasing artifacts, or no AA, if it introduces gltches), 1xAF (16xAF only in a few special cases [unfiltered UI / textures]) and per-pixel lighting OFF (to avoid stuttering due to shader cache compilation).
(07-01-2015, 08:40 AM)Link_to_the_past Wrote: [ -> ]All those settings together are an overkill for a 1080p monitor, i am pretty certain you won't notice a difference in quality even if you drop them a bit. Never mind raising them.

Yes I know this, in order to see aliasing I would have to press my face against the monitor to the point I could see each individual pixels but I was still curious.
(07-01-2015, 08:54 AM)St8guy Wrote: [ -> ]Yes I know this, but I was still curious.

So, you want to know if you could "max out" Dolphin with your current GPU?
You'll never be able to do it with the settings in post #2.

And even if there are brand new series of GPUs that can handle those monster resolutions / memory bandwidths, Dolphin will always be one step ahead / have options that will make the new GPUs cry.

Just check out the .ini fle. You can edit it to change the internal resolution beyond 8x.... (up to 1024x) Big Grin
(07-01-2015, 08:52 AM)St8guy Wrote: [ -> ]Ya even at 4x SSAA I was getting only around 12 fps, I was a slide show but a damn good looking one Tongue

Disable DSR in the NVIDIA control panel (you don't need it for Dolphin), set the output resolution to 1920x1080 and try again.
mm.

IIRC dolphin has no proper downsampling filter so setting IRs to anything higher than your native res is wasteful.

I'd keep the IR at 3x for 1080p and then crank up the AA as much as you'd like.
(07-01-2015, 10:15 AM)helios747 Wrote: [ -> ]mm.
IIRC Dolphin doesn't have a proper downsampling filter, so setting IRs to anything higher than your native res is wasteful.

It does (but only in the Unoffcial build).
After Tino makes some further improvements and optimizations (plus some regression testing by users), it will be ported to the official master build.