Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: error when attempting to load games or change graphic setings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i am attempting to help a friend set up this emulater but when he attempts to load a game (gamecube) or change graphics settings a popup appears saying that it failed to load d3d11.dll . he has a 32 bit windows vista and has dolphin 86x 4.2 any help is appreciated i dont know anything about his computer stats. if you have any questions i might be able to answer thanks
I don't think 32-bit Dolphin is supported anymore... See the Obituary to 32-Bit here. If his processor can support 64-bit Windows, then I recommend he upgrade.
In addition to what OatmealDome said, running the 64-bit version of Dolphin will naturally require a 64-bit version of Windows or Linux and a 64-bit compatible CPU. If the CPU is somewhat new and is actually capable of running Dolphin then it will work with 64-bit stuff. However, if you have 32-bit windows (go to computer>right-click>properties to find out) then that could be an issue as I don't think you can upgrade to 64-bit Windows for free. However, Linux is always an option.

I would recommend doing some Googling on that DLL as perhaps it can easily be downloaded and sorted. Aaannd I've just realised you stated they have 32-bit Windows (yuck, Vista).
yea im really wanting to build a new computer for him... is x86 and 32 bit the same thing or is x86 86 bit? also what version of that dll does the emulator search for?
x86 is 32-bit. You can't use an 86-bit CPU in a PC.
correction to first post he has x86 4.0.2
if you have the disc you can just reinstall 64bit...
(06-30-2015, 06:20 AM)Aaronstar Wrote: [ -> ]yea im really wanting to build a new computer for him... is x86 and 32 bit the same thing or is x86 86 bit? also what version of that dll does the emulator search for?

x86 is 32-bit.
x64 is 64-bit.

Confusing world, huh? 64-bit is what you want unless you have extreme memory and hard drive constraints as it uses a smidge more of both, but should ideally run a little faster, even if you don't have more than 4GB RAM.
You need to download the 64-bit windows installer from microsoft's website, and burn it to a disk or install it to a flash drive. Your windows liscence key is good for both 32 and 64 bit installs