Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: running multiple dolphin instances
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
heya

I would like to build a form of....dolphin computer, as in I wanna run multiple instances of dolphin with each one using a different wii u adapter and sound card. I assume this is currently not possible since dolphin detects the adapter automatically and I don't want to use pc mode on the mayflash or any other adapter because of the added delay.

I would guess it would be possible via a vmware emulation of windows and then connecting a usb port to the vmware, though it would be a bit messy and would prefer something more streamlined.

Anyone got any idea on how to possibly do this? Possibly using linux instead?
Interesting...I had this same idea last night, running two instances of Dolphin at the same time side by side, or if you have two monitors separate the windows accordingly each with their own inputs. There is a way of running two instances of a program, I know there is since I've searched this before. The problem is the sound which you mentioned, if there is a way to run dual channel, although I might be talking nonsense here. I'm not too much a technical guy, but I have a gut feeling someone is bound to do it somehow.

VMware emulation as in running two separate OS's in one computer? Could be a possibility, I don't see why not.
I doubt adding such a feature has been a priority lately, since most people's computers aren't powerful enough to run multiple Dolphin instances, anyway. Some games won't even run at full speed when only one instance of Dolphin is active. Unless someone has tried it already, I'm not sure VMware's GPU driver supports everything necessary for Dolphin to work at all. It won't let you force most of the features that a native driver will, e.g. AA/AF/vsync.
what would you be doing with the setup?
I can live without the sound really, the only thing I would like is for dolphin to somehow detect multiple gamecube adapters and let me select which adapter to use for each instance of dolphin (kinda how it normally detect usbadapters). But as you say this is most likely not a top priority heh
I have no clue about Windows, but on linux, you usually can move every sounds source to any connected output device. So sounds should be no issue.

Don't try vmware, you'll end with an emulated GPU. But we depends hard on the GPU driver performance.

IMO the only issue is how to seperate the input devices. But I'm pretty sure there is a way to mix them. Maybe it's a bit harder on windows, but on linux, you can just blacklist some device ids. It's hacky, but it should work easyly. Which one do you want to use, the WiiU GC adapter or real wiimotes?
(06-10-2015, 08:35 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]I have no clue about Windows, but on linux, you usually can move every sounds source to any connected output device. So sounds should be no issue.

Don't try vmware, you'll end with an emulated GPU. But we depends hard on the GPU driver performance.

IMO the only issue is how to seperate the input devices. But I'm pretty sure there is a way to mix them. Maybe it's a bit harder on windows, but on linux, you can just blacklist some device ids. It's hacky, but it should work easyly. Which one do you want to use, the WiiU GC adapter or real wiimotes?

it's the wii u gc adapter I'm after (I'm currently using mayflowers version in wii u mode so it should be the same)

I don't mind hacky, if it works, I'll just make the whole shebang autostart in the end.

It's to be used for smashfests/tournaments (melee) which is why it needs to be the wii u adapter and not something else (the game is very sensitive to input delay).
I can see this done in Linux. Maybe have multiple users running instances of dolphin? You'd have to deal with inputs but like degasus said, there's probably a way.