Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Buying a laptop, any help appreciated
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Distancekid

Buying a new laptop for uni, looking for any help, sorry for cluttering up the forums.
My budget is right around $900, could go higher or search hard for deals though.
My thoughts so far are the Lenovo Y50 with either the i5-4210H (2.9 Ghz, 2 cores) or the i7-4700HQ(2.4 Ghz, 4 cores) and the 860m.
Any opinion on the two processors? Is the Ghz rating more important than the quad core CPU? I know that dolphin doesn't take full advantage of more than 2 cores. Also, should I try to look for a laptop with a better processor and worse GPU? I've heard that dolphin is more processor heavy for speed and GPU heavy for extra features. I know neither is the greatest choice for dolphin, however please don't shoot this down without another recommendation as I know plenty of people have successfully run dolphin on the Y50.
Thank you!

Distancekid

Mainly looking to play gamecube games if that changes anything.
it wouldn't really change anything. Dolphin only uses 2 cores, so no, quad core doesn't give any real benefit aside from better speeds on some very specific games that require DSP LLE. if it were me, I would go with the 4210H for a dolphin machine
If you want it to be an all around good computer, go with the i7

Distancekid

Thank you both! The entirety of any resource intense gaming I do is dolphin, and the next hardest load my PC will have to bear is data viz and design software, so I think I'll let any significant difference in price dictate my decision. KHg8m3r, do you have any suggestions as cooling the system? I'm planning on using a cooling pad but I know that's not a great solution haha.
The Y50 actually has a dual heatsink on the inside, meaning the CPU and GPU are separated from each other, so the system is less prone to overheating issues.
Also cooling pads don't really do much, seeing how the heat is pushed out of the back of the computer by the fans.