Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is this laptop any good for Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msus...a16bd4aedc

-Intel Core i7-4710HQ
-16GB memory/1TB HDD + 128GB SSD
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M graphics

I know that when it comes to Dolphin, the CPU is more important than the GPU. The 980M won't have any issues, but will the i7-4710HQ be good enough?
It should be pretty good for Dolphin.  Just a word of warning, laptops in general aren't built well for gaming.  You'll most likely run into heat issues when playing games that will cause the GPU and CPU to throttle back power in order to keep temperatures down.
Since when does Alienware learn to make gaming laptop that's not overpriced ?
I tried to configure an customizable laptop and got pretty much the same price ...
It's currently on sale. I found out about this one from Slick Deals. You can take an additional $100 off with a promo code.
If you really must get a laptop, that's probably your best bet. I don't advise it, though. The CPU is 2.5GHz with temporary boost to 3.5; desktop chips start at 3.5 before any boost. For this price, you could get a great gaming desktop that would blow it away AND a cheap laptop/tablet/whatever for taking notes on the go. So unless you really must play Metroid Prime and GTAV on the train or wherever, think very carefully before buying a "gaming laptop".
(06-05-2015, 06:23 AM)IVCrumpet Wrote: [ -> ]If you really must get a laptop, that's probably your best bet. I don't advise it, though. The CPU is 2.5GHz with temporary boost to 3.5; desktop chips start at 3.5 before any boost. For this price, you could get a great gaming desktop that would blow it away AND a cheap laptop/tablet/whatever for taking notes on the go. So unless you really must play Metroid Prime and GTAV on the train or wherever, think very carefully before buying a "gaming laptop".

I'm a student, with a full-time job. I don't spend much time at home, so a laptop is my only choice.
I would get a Sager laptop instead (NP8xxx series and above) because they have the same parts, better customization, and lower price
the NP8xxx series has excellent pets. super friendly, great with kids. one for the whole family for sure
Yes, mine came with a dog. You can opt for either a dog, cat or fish, and choose the gender and age. Like I said, customizable.

Lol, I meant parts, I fixed it Tongue