Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: surface 3 Atom powered
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

bladespi1975

New to this forum. May not frequent it again. But I'm a long time console emulation enthusiast. I checked out a YouTube link which shows the New surface 3 tablet powered by an Atom chip running dolphin Mario kart at what looks to be115 FPs. Just had to share this. It really is possible to run these games without a high spec PC.

Here is the link. You'll forgive me if I dont know all the rules. Not sure if posting YouTube links is OK. But here goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPMYH26ingc
That Mario Kart Double Dash video isn't even maintaining a full 60FPS.
The Nvidia SHIELD Android TV can match this performance or better in most cases.

Mario Kart Double Dash is a "fairly" light game.
(06-03-2015, 09:34 AM)Sonicadvance1 Wrote: [ -> ]Mario Kart Double Dash is a "fairly" light game.

It's light for single player but starts to get pretty heavy with multiplayer/split screen.
Somes games are playable on the Surface 3 Pro, but the Surface 3 (without pro) is much weaker. Don't expect to much of it just because the architecture is x64.

bladespi1975

(06-03-2015, 09:34 AM)Sonicadvance1 Wrote: [ -> ]That Mario Kart Double Dash video isn't even maintaining a full 60FPS.
The Nvidia SHIELD Android TV can match this performance or better in most cases.

Sorry I didn't read the FPS count correctly. I have a smaller screen display on my cell. However the game is running at essentially full speed. Not much signs of throttling either. The guy who uploaded the video has other vids as well of a couple other games running full speed. My point in all this was to say hey you can play these games now on the go without the need for high spec desktops or laptops. And thats not to spite anyone who puts pride into building a more than capable gaming rig. Tablets as evidenced by the videos can do a good job as well. I don't even know which version of dolphin he used. Or if any settings had been tweaked to gain performance improvement. As a side note i love the nvidia gaming tablets. Excellent specs for games. But those are limited by the android OS. And I've not seen any videos showing multiple games running dolphin emu at more than 20 fps much less full speed. Just my opinion for what it's worth.
(06-03-2015, 09:34 AM)Sonicadvance1 Wrote: [ -> ]That Mario Kart Double Dash video isn't even maintaining a full 60FPS.

So, you are comparing a tablet with a TV? Then let me compare it with my htpc. It has Intel G3258, which will "match this performance or better in most cases."
Uh, the Shield Android TV is a Tegra X1 device. That's a CPU designed for tablets whereas yours is for desktops.
they are not same the shield tablet is based on Android OS and surface on windows
Octimus...that doesn't really pertain to what tueidj was saying...