Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Want to build a computer capable of running dolphin in 1080p
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!

I want to build a PC that has the sole purpose of retro emulation and will always be hooked up to an HDTV with 1080p resolution.  Basically an emulator console.  I figure the specs only need to be good enough to run dolphin smoothly at 1080p, since that should easily cover other emulators out there.  I'm really not sure where to start, seeing as I haven't built a computer myself before.  I want to keep it as low budget as possible while still being able to run dolphin smoothly at 1080p.

Could I please have some direction on what parts would fit my needs?
If you don't need to play Far Cry 4, you can get the G3258 and a Z97 board and overclock it on the stock cooler to 4.5-4.7 Ghz, and it'll run just like the i5-4690K/i7-4790K at similar speeds.
I second KHg8m3r's suggestion. If it's strictly for emulation and you don't need it to handle modern PC games, the G3258 is the chip you want.

Its iGPU isn't stellar, though. You will definitely need a dedicated graphics card for 1080p internal resolution. The 750ti is often suggested as an inexpensive option, and you can probably go even lower than that. I'm using an i3-4160 and a 5770, and all games I've tried run great (except some rare shader compilation microstutter in Metroid Prime).
Thanks for the advice guys! I'll most definitely look into those. Do you have any more recommendations for a dedicated GPU if I go lower than a 750ti? I'd like to keep things as low-cost as possible while still maintaining a smooth framerate at 1080p.

Not sure if this is needed, but as a reference I'd like this thing to handle the entire Metroid Prime series, Smash Bros Melee, MK Double Dash, Mario Sunshine, etc.
The integrated g3258 gpu can run 2x IR on some light games?
(06-04-2015, 04:24 AM)trihy Wrote: [ -> ]The integrated g3258 gpu can run 2x IR on some light games?
Maaaybe? I would have someone who owns it verify first. My personal assumption would be that it's okay at 1x, but you'd want a dedicated GPU for higher resolutions.
I think I'm definitely planning on getting an integrated GPU. I'm just wondering what my options are if I go below a 750 ti but still want to get 1080p resolution out of the games I listed in my previous post.
I run a GT 640 at around 2-3x IR depending on the game, so a GT 740 should be fine too (and consume less power)
Quote:what my options are if I go below a 750 ti but still want to get 1080p resolution out of the games I listed in my previous post.
GT 750 then . 3xIR or 4xIR in Dolphin
GT 740 is cheap but it's Kepler , not Maxwell