Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is it because my computer is too primitive?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Kojiro

Or is it something else?

I tried running Final Fantasy IV: The After Years on Dolphin 4.0.2 and I'm getting very choppy sound; it makes the splendid FF4 score sound horrible. I Googled the "choppy sound" issue and tried the few solutions I found but it didn't seem to help much. My computer specs are as follows:

Windows Vista Home Premium x64
AMD Phenom Quad-Core 9750 2.4 GHz
8 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 9500 GS 512 MB

I appear to be getting a FPS/VPS percentage of about 90% which from what I can tell is bad (I've read it's supposed to be around 100%), so this indicates a slowdown. Any advice or is this a lost cause?
You could try to use the newest versions, but I doubt you can do much with that PC.

Kojiro

(05-29-2015, 09:19 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]You could try to use the newest versions, but I doubt you can do much with that PC.

Yeah, what I seem to be reading is that Dolphin hates AMD. Still, any new equipment is out of the question as it's well beyond my budget right now. If I can do something to improve performance, that would be wonderful.
4.0.2 is slow
Phenom I is an ancient CPU , you will need a new PC anyway

Kojiro

(05-29-2015, 10:27 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]4.0.2 is slow
Phenom I is an ancient CPU , you will need a new PC anyway

Want to donate one then? Because unless I suddenly get a big break, that's not going to happen anytime soon. So saying "new PC" is not helping.
You're not going to be playing GC games any time soon, then, either. Dolphin is an exceptionally demanding program, and some games still struggle even on current hardware, let alone on old hardware.

Kojiro

(05-29-2015, 11:12 AM)AleronĀ Ives Wrote: [ -> ]You're not going to be playing GC games any time soon, then, either. Dolphin is an exceptionally demanding program, and some games still struggle even on current hardware, let alone on old hardware.

Thank you. That is a realistic answer that I can accept.

Unfortunate, but I've learned to live with unfortunate.
Make sure you are running the latest build of Dolphin. If you ever get $125 or so, go get a Pentium G3258, the cheapest H81 motherboard you can find, and a 4GB stick of memory. You can run most games on Dolphin using that with no problems.
1. Get the latest version: download the first one you see on this page:
https://dolphin-emu.org/download/list/master/1/
It's much faster than the stable build.

2. If that version still performs poorly, you might try Tino's unofficial build (Ishiiruka). It's known to run better on old hardware:
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...om-version
NOTE: There's no support for this build from the Dolphin developers / forum mods. The only support you may get is from Tino, the developer of that fork.
Try overclocking the CPU