Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Slow speed despite pretty good computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I tried playing Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, and so far it plays at 60fps for about five seconds, before dropping down to anywhere in the range of 0-5fps before intermittently shooting back up again to 60, or occasionally 30. These speeds usually only last a couple of seconds before dropping back down into unplayable speeds.

My specs:

Processor: AMD FX-8350 8-core 4.1GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 760
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Dolphin version: 4.0

Anyone know why this is? I'm confident that my computer should be able to run PoR, even with dolphin being as demanding as it is.

I have noticed that after letting the menu cutscene run once, even at about 2fps, it is fine if I watch it again. Do I simply need to leave the game running for a while? I'd rather not have to play the game through on that kind of speed just so it runs okay the second time.
Make sure you use latest dev Dolphin . The stable Dolphin 4.0.2 is too old and slow
Keep in mind that AMD cpu has poor single threaded performance and Dolphin only uses 2 cores . FX 8350 @ 4.5GHz is slower than i3 4130 @ 3.4GHz in Dolphin Benchmark
I did have the wrong Dolphin, and changing to the most updated one has got rid of such drastic drops but I'm still getting jitters and millisecond freezes. Any fix?
Shader Cache stuttering. Just keep playing and they'll eventually stop. To minimize the effects of shader compilation you would need a better CPU (any Haswell based CPU with high stock speeds would help), but you can try overclocking your CPU a bit...
Right click the game -> Properties , tick enable fpcp and untick "enable idle skipping"
This will help you get rid of audio stuttering even if your fps drops
...or just use OpenAL audio backend
My FPS is fine now, thanks guys. But after a while of playing, Dolphin now crashes. This didn't occur last night, and I'd been running the game for a couple of hours. Now, I don't seem to be able to get any longer than 20-30 minutes before I get a "Dolphin.exe has stopped working." It seems that when you get this error message most people get it immediately on startup, so I'm not really sure what's up. Any suggestions?
What are the details of the error message?
"Dolphin.exe has stopped working" is all I get. The only option I have from there is close program.

Image, in case it helps at all, though I doubt it will: http://puu.sh/hZVjC/99dec11795.jpg
(05-25-2015, 11:31 PM)SerScotty Wrote: [ -> ]"Dolphin.exe has stopped working" is all I get. The only option I have from there is close program.

Image, in case it helps at all, though I doubt it will: http://puu.sh/hZVjC/99dec11795.jpg

You are not using the latest development version, there was a problem with xaudio back at 4.0 that is fixed.
Pages: 1 2