Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Netplay the right way?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

andrew89898

Hi, me and my friend have been trying to play dolphin games on netplay for a while now. We have tried to play Mario Party 4, but although it runs well we almost always desync within 2 minutes e.g. separate minigame different rolled number etc. Now we are trying to play New Super Mario Bros wii, and first we had major lag spikes which was caused by Store EFB copies to texture only being off. But now we have tried to play the first level and it always desyncs. We have made sure that our hashes match, and have no save data but yet it still desyncs.

We are both using dolphin 4.0-6286 which was the latest dev version when we decided to try and play. Also when my friend plays, his dolphin seems to crash (not respond) most of the time and apparently he cannot even end a emulation without using task manager.

Is there anything we can try?

Thanks!
not being able to end emulation without the task manager is a known issue, so nothing to worry about. you could try using an older netplay build maybe?
On the subject of netplay, any reason why Dolphin doesn't use GGPO?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GGPO

I haven't tried it myself, but if it's good enough for the fighting game community surely it must be good enough for our purposes as well. And it's already being used in arcade machine emulators, so it's already got a proof of concept!

Chances are there's something more complicated at play here which is why Dolphin hasn't used it already. But, just to bring it up...
Take your pick:
- website offline / no source code available
- proprietary license incompatible with GPL
- windows only
You forgot:
- Requires being able to partially rollback state.
Dolphin desyncing means that you set things up wrong in the first place anyway. No matter how nice rewinding tech would be, if you're playing different games I'm pretty sure it wouldn't end well.
Welp. Now I know!

I wonder how they got it working for arcade emulators if partially rollingback is an issue...?