Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Gaming laptop not running to full potential
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone. I'm a newbie here nice to know that such a forum exists and seems to be very active and hopefully useful. I have a dedicated gaming laptop MSI Ghost series GS60 2PE GHOST PRO 3K GOLD EDITION. The specs should be shown with the post I hope since I filled it out during registration. Most games stutter at times such as Donkey Kong country returns or even Mario tennis. I feel that there is so much potential. I don't want to overclock my laptop. Particularly for new super mario bros. I turned the EFB to ram for the blue coin with minimum IR settings with vsync on. Yet it only runs about 80-90 percent and sttuters a lot. What is the best setting possible I'm sure my laptop is capable of something much better than this.

Windows 8.1 SQL x64

Intel core i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50 Ghz

Nvidia Gefore GTX860M

16GB RAM

Dolphin 4.0-5917
Make sure you have a high performance profile set up for Dolphin in the Nvidia Control panel. (see here for how to do so: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...ance-guide)

Make sure your computer is plugged in and set to high performance mode in Windows.
Thank you for the prompt reply. Still not working to its full potential maybe its with the game I guess. Cause I need to set the EFB to RAM to see the blue coins, feels very disappointed that this is all there is for my laptop.
I get some slowdowns also with EFB to RAM, but only at higher IR's (similar CPU/GPU)
also dolphin is a cpu intensive program and yours is running at 2.5 whereas dolphin is more comfortable at >3.0, so your system really is doing the best it can
The laptop has turbo boost up to 3.5 Ghz
EFB 2 RAM and NSBW is a latency killer. Most of the time (~80%), the CPU is waiting for the GPU, and at the same time, the GPU is waiting for the CPU. You should try to run it on the internal intel GPU, through this GPU is slower, it likely has a lower latency.
so besides overclocking it to 3.5 Ghz is there any other safer solution?
Have you read what degasus said? Try running NSMBW with Intel HD Graphics. Also, your CPU is not overclockable, but as long as your laptop stay cool it'll automatically "OC" itself to a maximum of 3.5GHz (Google Intel Turbo Boost for more details)...