Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Buying an old Z77 MB or wait for Skylake
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

weegeesoul

Hi, I'm new here, even though using Dolphin for over 4 years right now.

I have currently running an i5 3570k (stock setting) CPU in my rig, which runs fine with GC games.
But in some Wii games like Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 I get many slowdowns especially with LLE and Vsync enabled
The problem is I can't overclock the CPU with my board (Asus P8B75-M).

I need some advice: Is it still worth buying a new Mobo with Z77 chipset (for about 110€ in my region) or waiting until Intel has released their new Skylake processors?

My other PC specs are: GTX 460, 8gigs of Ram
And I'm using the newest Dolphin dev version.
I would wait.
You might consider upgrading your graphics card too to an at least GTX 960.

I recently bought a used i7-3770k for my Z68 motherboard which I can overclock perfectly fine.
Buying a new motherboard is as big of a hassle as buying a new pc. I don't think it is worth it for only something as small as overclocking.

weegeesoul

(05-18-2015, 02:56 AM)nex86 Wrote: [ -> ]I would wait.
You might consider upgrading your graphics card too to an at least GTX 960.

I recently bought a used i7-3770k for my Z68 motherboard which I can overclock perfectly fine.

Thanks for the replies.

I will upgrade to a GTX 970 in August. But wouldn't a 3570k at... let's say 4.4 GHz be enough for most games?
I mean for about a 100 bucks, wouldn't that be a good upgrade?
yeah that should be fine but the Pentium G3258 will be better for dolphin and it's only like $60

weegeesoul

Isn't the Pentium just a dual core? I know Dolphin uses only 2 cores but still a quad core CPU is better for me.
Buying a Z77 MB will let you OC and make that processor faster, but unless you only want a mild OC, you are going to need more cooling.
Now you have spent money on a MB + cooling for an 'old' processor.
You have tough choices here because a new MB is just destined for the trash when you upgrade the processor.

weegeesoul

Ok. Thanks though, I will be waiting then.