Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin more fluid in background than foreground
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have a weird problem. If I run Dolphin normally I get lots of micro-stuttering, distorted sounds and frame rates between 30 and 45 (for PAL50).

But if I click on the taskbar and Dolphin isn't the focus anymore it runs smooth like butter. Constant 49/50 fps and absolutely clear sound.

As far as I can tell I have tried every combination of hack-options, backends and Sound-plugins there are. I even reset all options and started new. No change. I could activate background-input to play like that, but I need the mouse for Super Mario Galaxy, so that's not really an option.

I'm thankful for any help, I'm at the end of my rope here :/
It could be that your GPU is not detecting Dolphin as high performance program, so it's not running in high performance mode. But i don't know how to fix this, i have an AMD GPU, which does not have this kind of problem. Maybe you can change this in the nvidia control panel somewhere, or create a profile for Dolphin which sets it to high performance?
I tried some options of the Nvidia Control Center and the energy management of Windows but nothing changed. The effect is even more pronounced in the Ishiikura version of Dolphin.
Does anyone have any other idea, why this could happen? I'm completely out... Sad
It sounds to me like when Dolphin has focus your video driver or some other software is trying to "enhance" Dolphin in some kind of way that Dolphin doesn't like, and when you deselect it, the "enhancement" turns off and lets Dolphin run normally. Do you have any background processes related to gaming running? You seem to be on a laptop, so my guess is that you have some kind of OEM "game boost" software running that's messing with Dolphin, and you need to turn it off or uninstall it.