Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [Solved] Poor performance with AMD videocard using Linux x64
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Titibandit

Hello all !

First of all, I was kinda unsure whether I should have posted this here or in the Support section.. I hope I made the right choice Smile

I'm trying to use dolphin on my Linux 64bits machine, but I can't get past the 5 FPS line.
I have an AMD video (Radeon HD 6850) and I'm using opensource drivers. I've read (here for example) that AMD's opensource drivers can now provide decent performance, even with a newer GPU than mine (as seen in the article). I can play other OpenGL games on my machine, without slowdown or anything. But despite all that, on Dolphin, all the games I try to play are stuck at 5FPS and I usually can't get past the warning/menu screens (I'm maybe not patient enough Big Grin).

I can play games at fullspeed on Dolphin on the same machine, using my windows system, so the hardware here shouldn't be an issue.

I've even found this blog post where the guy seems to be using Dolphin successfully with the opensource drivers, he talks about it in the end of his blog post. (I know he talks about some compilation optimizations I don't use, but this article is almost one year old, so I think these optimizations have been merged since).

So something is clearly wrong with my setup, and I can't find what it is.

It's not about trying to get the best performance out of my GPU, I know that usually, opensource drivers can't provide that, but just something playable for some not too much demanding games.
Thanks for your help !

I'm also providing everything I know about my specs, hopefully, it'll be helpful.

CPU : Intel i5 2400@3.1GHz x4
RAM : 8GB
GPU : AMD Radeon HD6850

Output from glxinfo | grep OpenGL :

Code:
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org

OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD BARTS
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.5.4
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.5.4
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 10.5.4
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00
OpenGL ES profile extensions:
(05-04-2015, 05:58 PM)Titibandit Wrote: [ -> ]Hello all !

First of all, I was kinda unsure whether I should have posted this here or in the Support section.. I hope I made the right choice Smile

I'm trying to use dolphin on my Linux 64bits machine, but I can't get past the 5 FPS line.
I have an AMD video (Radeon HD 6850) and I'm using opensource drivers. I've read (here for example) that AMD's opensource drivers can now provide decent performance, even with a newer GPU than mine (as seen in the article). I can play other OpenGL games on my machine, without slowdown or anything. But despite all that, on Dolphin, all the games I try to play are stuck at 5FPS and I usually can't get past the warning/menu screens (I'm maybe not patient enough Big Grin).

I can play games at fullspeed on Dolphin on the same machine, using my windows system, so the hardware here shouldn't be an issue.

I've even found this blog post where the guy seems to be using Dolphin successfully with the opensource drivers, he talks about it in the end of his blog post. (I know he talks about some compilation optimizations I don't use, but this article is almost one year old, so I think these optimizations have been merged since).

So something is clearly wrong with my setup, and I can't find what it is.

It's not about trying to get the best performance out of my GPU, I know that usually, opensource drivers can't provide that, but just something playable for some not too much demanding games.
Thanks for your help !

I'm also providing everything I know about my specs, hopefully, it'll be helpful.

CPU : Intel i5 2400@3.1GHz x4
RAM : 8GB
GPU : AMD Radeon HD6850

Output from glxinfo | grep OpenGL :

Code:
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org

OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD BARTS
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.5.4
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.5.4
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 10.5.4
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

Can't get past 5 fps? Is your framelimit not set to auto?

Titibandit

Oh my god, that was it.
I don't know how I managed to set this framelimiter to 5, didn't do it intentionnally in any case.

Lock that thread away... and thanks Link_to_the_past
If you used audio framelimit in older builds, it was removed, and when dolphin tries to load its slot, 5 fps is there instead