Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Set Memory Card per game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everybody!
I have a large collection of Gamecube games, and most of them are NTSC. But I have a few that are PAL region, so I have to use a European memory card to be able to save these games' progress. But it is a bit annoying to have to change memory cards every time I'm going to play a game from a different region. Besides, some days ago I was playing one of my PAL region games on Dolphin, and I forgot to change the memory cards, so the game prompted me to format my NTSC memory card so it could save. I was a bit distracted, so I choose "Yes" and it formatted my NTSC memory card to PAL, and I lost all my old save files... Sad Luckily, I didn't had too many save files on that particular memory card, but if I was using my main NTSC memory card, I would lose a lot of important data.

So I would like to know if there's some way to set memory cards per game, so when I started a PAL game, it would place a PAL memory card into slot 1, and the same for NTSC games. That way, it would be much easier, and it would prevent an accidental formatting from happening again haha!
Firstly, NTSC and PAL games can share a memory card without any problems. It's Japanese games that require their own card, since they use a different character set (Shift-JIS).
Secondly, Dolphin knows this and automatically uses different cards for games from different regions. If it really did use your PAL memory card while playing an NTSC-J game it would have to be because you explicitly told it to use it.
(05-02-2015, 12:51 PM)tueidj Wrote: [ -> ]Firstly, NTSC and PAL games can share a memory card without any problems. It's Japanese games that require their own card, since they use a different character set (Shift-JIS).
Secondly, Dolphin knows this and automatically uses different cards for games from different regions. If it really did use your PAL memory card while playing an NTSC-J game it would have to be because you explicitly told it to use it.

Really?? In that case, my humble apologies, I didn't knew NTSC and PAL games could share the same memory card, or that Dolphin knew what memory card to use... I don't know how I formatted my memory card then, I really thought it was because the region was wrong...

Anyway, thanks for clarifying it to me, and sorry for being so badly informed about Dolphin features hahaha!
Hell, I've been here for three years and had no idea.
You never noticed it switched between MemoryCardX.USA.raw / MemoryCardX.EUR.raw / MemoryCardX.JAP.raw automatically?
I'd guess that a lot of people would only have games from their own local region.
If anything, I wish the GUI had an option to let you manually specify the name of the memory card you want to load. The way it works now, you either have to rename the memory cards if you want to switch between them or edit Dolphin.ini before you launch Dolphin if you have multiple memory cards of the same region.
I never knew that NTSC and PAL saves could share a memory card. The whole automatic switching made me think each region had to be separate.